connect to windows server

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tronica, Dec 29, 2006.

1. tronica macrumors member

I have a fileserver setup running XP pro, and have a drive shared. I have no firewall on it. Now i'm running 10.4.7 and when i go to Go-> Connect to server, and type in "smb://192.168.10.10/D" and add to the list, and try to click connect the connect button doesn't do anything. So then i decided to go to Go-> Network I can see the name of the server but when i click to connect it gives me some thing about an alias. and i can't connect. any ideas, thanks

2. Gee macrumors 65816

Did you try typing the ip address without the /D? As far as I remember, you get to chose the drive after you make the connection.

3. tronica thread starter macrumors member

yeah i tried that too, I got this to work at a friends house, going about it the same way.???

4. Gee macrumors 65816

Not sure, but do you need 'Windows file sharing' switched on in the Sharing preference pane. Or is that just for incoming stuff?

5. tronica thread starter macrumors member

still no luck, i read the guide that macrumors has on this, and many other guides to. I just can't figure this out. I have everything setup correctly.

any ideas, i really need to get this to work, for work. Thanks

6. Gee macrumors 65816

So when you do Go > Connect to Server and type in smb://whatever... and hit connect, what happens? Nothing at all, or does it show a dialogue saying 'connecting to....' but never find anything?

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Nope, just for incoming connections.

As for ideas, what do the logs have to say about the issue?

Can you ping that IP address?

Are you 100% sure that sharing is on on the XP box?

8. tronica thread starter macrumors member

i can ping the box just fine. Just to make sure i made a empty folder on the windows machine and enable sharing and all that. Still no luck, but all my other machines including my linux box can see it just fine.

9. tronica thread starter macrumors member

If i go to Go-> Network, i can see the server. If i click on it if gives me the option to connect. If i click that, i get a messege saying "The alias "Fileserver" could not be opened, becuase the orignal item cannot be found. Thats all i get.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Odd that you can ping it...

What do the logs say about the situation?

11. aj98 macrumors member

where /D is the name of a shared folder, or are you trying to get to root of the D drive?

If you have administrative rights, try using /D$

D$ is the administrative share for drive D, and will give you access to root of D:

Otherwise, you have to give it the name of a shared folder to which you have access.

Verify the permissions you have granted on the shared folder on the windows box. when you access it from the Mac, you should be prompted for userID, password, and domain. Likely, the domain will be "WORKGROUP" (no quotes)

12. tronica thread starter macrumors member

Ok, well..., I now i'm able to sort of connect enough for it to ask me for a user name and password, so i'm in the right direction, however when i give it my credentials i ether get error 43 or 50. any ideas on that one.

13. tronica thread starter macrumors member

14. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

You may have to downgrade a Windows security setting in the registry for the Macs to connect. I've forgotten what I had to do but the Macs wouldn't connect to a Windows 2003 server before I did that. I'll have a hunt around for it.

Alternatively, try DAVE. No compromises required on the Windows side (well for the most part, anyway).

15. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

How have you got your Mac setup?

It should be set like this!

Open "System Preferences"

Go to "Sharing"

You should have :-
    Personal File Sharing ticked
    Windows Sharing ticked

On Windows Sharing you need click on "Accounts" and tick the box next to the account name, so that OS X knows to share out your particular home folder.

16. tronica thread starter macrumors member

I went through and checked my settings again. everything is set right. I even follwed the guide on this that macrumors has. And at the bottom they give a tip on the regedit hack. I followed that and still doesn't work.

When i go to Go-> Connect to server, type in smb://192.168.10.10/E, and click connect it starts to connect and asks me for my credentials. I give them and then i get an error code -50. I'm so close i think.

17. Gee macrumors 65816

This may be no help, but I looked up your error on the aplle site, and there's one article:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107095

THe error code means 'Error in user parameter list' which apparently may be related to unusual characters in your username/password - do you have any / ' . " etc. in your username?

Also, I seem to remember I had some problems connecting to a windows share until I wrote my registered username in all caps. I.e. My username on windows was joebloggsm, but I coudn't connect until I used JOEBLOGGS.

18. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Try creating a new user on the windows box with a sort user name and password no more than eight characters.

Or try the suggestions from Insanelymac.com