Connect two iPods

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jeff.macaddict, Jan 9, 2004.

1. jeff.macaddict macrumors regular

I think that it would be a small market, at least at first, but does anyone else think it would be a good idea to be able to connect two iPods together? If you've used a PDA or graphing calculator before, then you'll probably know how easy it is to share stuff between them. With a wire but mostly with IR.

Just imagine, go up to your friend with an iPod, and he says, hey, I got a righteous song on my iPod. Here, lemme transfer it to you over my handy iTransfer cable.:D

Or maybe you have a file on the iPod. Why put it on a computer, then on the other iPod? And what if there is no available computer?

This would be like if you had a CD player, and your friend had a CD player, and you took the CD out of player A and put it in player B. But with my idea it would be on both machines at the same time.:cool:

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

won't happen, apple doesn't even let you take songs off the ipod to a computer why would they let you send it to another ipod user .... plus the iPod OS and software is really closed so it would be tough for a developer to start making such a cable and they would get serious flack for it

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

cool idea... liscensing rights would be tough to get around...

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yes a very cool concept but copywright laws would prevent that from happening. what i think would be a better solution would be a bluetooth ipod that would allow other users ipod lists to pop up on yours, your not taking their music, but just seeing what they have to offer, now that would be awesome. and now with more and more cars coming with bluetooth it could even be taken further.

iJon

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yes the reason that this isn't a possibility, and won't be, should be obvious. to keep the record labels signed, Apple has to show a commitment to reducing digital piracy, and such sharing would be a good way to piss them off. sure it'd be legal for Apple to do it, but it would be a very unwise business decision.

paul

6. SyndicateX macrumors member

Not completely true. Apple almost has it where you cant copy music from the iPod, but if you plug in your ipod to another persons computer and iTunes will pop-up the message that "belongs to another library and do you want to erase it and use it with your library blah blah..." you can go to your desktop and open the ipod and copy all the songs to it/from it you want.

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

only if you show the hidden files or usea third party app. Its not easiyl accesible to the user via itunes ... bottom line is that sending songs would infiringe on soo many copyright agreements its not funny