Connect XP to Internet via router-connected AirPort?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pdel, Jul 25, 2006.

1. pdel macrumors newbie

I've got an Airport connected via Ethernet to a Belkin 4-port Cable/DSL Gateway Router (F5D5230-4) that assigns via DCHP. Several desktop computers, Mac and PC, are also connected to router via Ethernet, and access Internet fine. There is also a USB printer connected to the AirPort, which I have been able to print to from the Macs and PCs on the router's LAN.
    The problem is using the Airport not just for printing but to give wireless Internet Access to my daughter's WinXP laptop. She gets onto the Internet fine here when connected to the router via Ethernet, and at college she gets on fine wirelessly. But when trying to connect wirelessly here, we see the correct AirPort network after scanning in Network Connections (?) dialog, and we even seem to get a wireless connection, but then a valid IP address cannot be found, so of course we can't connect to the Internet.
    We have spent hours trying to figure out the correct combination of AirPort settings and settings on the laptop, but can't seem to get the valid IP address happening. Any suggestions?

2. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

Try setting your airport to NOT assign IP addresses

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

pdel, I pretty much have the same setup.

Here's how my AE is configured:

Attached Files:

4. pdel thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, thanks for the screen shots! But my settings were already as shown (except that the actual numbers are different for IP address, Subnet mask, Router address, DNS Servers), including (as mentioned by tipdrill407) NOT checking the "Distribute IP addresses" checkbox on the Network tab (thereby allowing the router to distribute addresses). My suspicion is that the problem is somewhere in the setup of the PC itself, although as I mentioned she is able to log onto her college's wireless network without any issues, and I assume that network is security-protected like mine (I'm using WPA2 Personal with a 13-character password). Anybody have any other ideas?