Connect24

Discussion in 'Games' started by myshoeshurt, May 9, 2006.

1. myshoeshurt macrumors regular

myshoeshurt

The Wii will be connected to Nintendo's network 24 hours a day. Okay, I'm definately in... just have to hope against the probability of "Wiiruses"... sorry, "Wiirii".

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The connect thing sounds strange. I'm all for it it's a good logical step. I'm glad to death than the 360 doesn't do that though. Talk about a high power bill :eek:

I'd need that 24hr connection too. what with the amount of times my wireless connection drops! *prays for resume feature*

3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

How awesome is this..... the Wii will feature the opera browser for browsing beetween gaming sessions sweet!

SHadOW

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i missread the title - and thought it said Connect 4

[​IMG]

back on track - though i can not see a problem with 24hour always on - my mac is anyway;)

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

nice ... i guess that iwata meant that when he stated that the "network software will be included" .. i wonder what else they are going to have network wise ...

6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

With the speaker/mic in the controller, and the always on console, I say there will be a mini telephone VoIP network. If someone is on you buddy list and you're on you're on theirs you can fire up your console and call them. Maybe a little light flashes on the sensor bar or something. No actual ringing, or anything obtrusive, just a little cue that someone who you know whats to talk... and maybe play a little tennis or something.

7. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Thats good thinking, it will get rid of the need for a headset, very cool...

ShadoW

8. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ya, it's been unclear though if the Wiimote has a mic. There's no mention of it on anything "official" that I see, but on the other hand, IGN and [I think] Joystiq are reporting it as confirmed fact. Wether it has a seperate mic or if the speaker can double for one is kinda unclear... Even so, it could still work like a walkie talkie, which come to think of it would actually be pretty cool.

9. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I don't really mind the fact that the Wii is not HD but a web browser is definitly an app that could have benefitted from HD. Small text is a pain to read on a SD TV. You can always make it bigger but it takes a lot of scrolling around. I'm curious to see how they will pull this out. Maybe they'll approach the problem the sme way they did on the DS. (Scroll around a thumbanil of the page and zoom to read the small stuff)

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hmm yeah i think that might work but the DS has the advantage of the bigger screen.. i guess they will also include just like on safari that with 2 buttons yo ucan icnreae the text easily.. that might be placed for axample on the d-pad (perhaps with back and forward)

or o nthe lower buttons

in other news: (speak IGN) there will be a light gun add on for duck hunt

and after translating the japanese wii spec site through google: a USB to ethernet adapter as well for those without wireless router

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I really want to get a hold of that controller and see what i can do....im really excited about that.

Bless

12. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Stupid part is that the Wii is technically capable of generating HD resolutions (at least according to some developer interviews) as long as there aren't any complex filters that require multiple frame buffers. My point is that a web browser is something that HD would really help, wouldn't require anything the Wii can't do, and it sucks to see it not being used.

My other thought is that they are just using the Opera HTML renderer and whatnot to make the Virtual Console store/WiFi interface, and that'll be the only "web page" the Wii will be able to access.

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i don't know...
    in the oepra press release it doesn't sound like that

http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2006/05/10/

but i think they will use Ajax for all kind of things since they specifically mention it
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AJAX

14. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

i think wii all are... ;)