Connected MacBook to Internet with Cellphone

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Trajectory, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Hi, I just ordered a white MacBook and need to use it at a lake cabin near Vancouver Canada. There isn't a landline there, so, the only way I'll be able to connect to the Internet is through my cellphone. My cellphone has Bluetooth, so, do I need any special gagdets to use the cellphone to connect my MacBook to the Internet? Or can I make all this work wirelessly through Bluetooth?

Thanks!

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

You may well end up with a similar solution to this person

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'm pretty sure you can do it with Verizon EVDO, but I'm not sure.

update: You can do slower, dial-up speeds over Bluetooth, but EVDO Broadband only over USB. You have to pay for the plan, of course.

4. macdragonfl macrumors regular

macdragonfl

You can use either Bluetooth or USB to connect either a dialup or a data plan from your wireless provider. Depends on your phone and your wireless service. I use Samsung A900 (aka BLade) through Sprint PCS to connect my Powerbook. Even though Apple does not support phone or Samsung does not support OS X it was pretty easy.

5. Trajectory thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I think I may go the USB gadget route so I can get the fastest speed possible. My service is with Cingular, but, as I'll be in Canada, I'm trying to find a serivce I can use up there for about a month that won't be so expensive as Cingular would be from there. Telus is one of the the biggest phone companies up there.