Connecticut lawmaker hooked on bathroom proposal

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You know, as silly as this sounds, I like this idea. It's kind of disgusting to have to put your coat down on the floor in a public restroom.

There's been times I've avoided doing that by simply draping it over the stall door, but I had a coat ripped off that way once, so I'm really leery of it.

Link

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Seems so sensible that you wonder why they're having to pass a law to make it happen?

3. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Simple and straightforward.

And not going to break the bank either.

4. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Maybe Chicago will be next. We seem to be about a few years behind everyone else on legislation, unless that legislation is for ticketing.

5. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

That's odd. Not that I oppose coat hooks, I just would have thought that Bridgeport had bigger problems to worry about than this.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

agreed. this is what they come up with to earn their salaries? deal with a real problem why dontcha... :rolleyes:

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Hey, just because there are much more important issues staring them in the face, doesn't mean they're the ones who have to face them. Wait until the winners of the next elections, they say.

They also tend to take care of the problems that affect them directly. One of them probably left their jacket on a piss-soaked floor and are probably not happy about it.

8. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

I ended up in Bridgeport last night by accident... very very nasty place (the part I was in anyway) and really there I would think they would be trying to curb drugs and crime.. because I watched a mugging as I drove by (I almost **** myself and called the police right away.)

9. CompUser Guest

Yea, bridgeport is a nasty place. The only time I have been there is when I am on the train to NYC.

Coat hooks are fine, banning Cell Phones in stores- no.

10. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Just because there are more important issues doesn't mean they have to ignore the unimportant ones.

Whatever the merits of this ("bathroom" and "toilet" in a story is always good for a titter), there are no reports of what else was discussed at the city council meeting. Perhaps this was 19th in a list of 20 items to discuss. I don't know know what are the most important issues Bridgeport Connecticut is facing (and I'm pretty sure there are few if any other MacRumors readers who know) but perhaps they were on a roll that night and sorted them all out first.

We don't know, and selective reporting just so we can all have a giggle, means we won't know (not that we care either).

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

even though it does seem silly that this may become a law, its a good idea anyways.

12. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

It would be nice if all places did this as a courtesy to their customers... how much could coat hooks cost after all?

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The first time someone hangs themselves from a coathook in a public bathroom there will be a zillion dollar lawsuit and they'll come down again...

14. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Never been there, but I'm going to give you that one. haha. That's really kind of sad that they can't think of something more productive to pass.

15. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

Most of Bridgeport is very, very, crime ridden and just an overall bad place. They DEFINATELY need something more productive to pass.

Edit: I don't think anyone here would want to even step into some of the establishments in Bridgeport, nevermind the bathrooms.

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

haha, great point! you know it'll happen, too, sooner or later...

17. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Also i bet you someone will put their gucci bag hooked on one of those and someone walking buy reaches over and grabs it

18. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I agree. I grew up a few towns over from Bridgeport, and there really wasn't any reason to go there as I grew up. Largest city in CT, and I believe the highest crime rates. Though Hartford may take that prize as well.

My older brother works for the railroad and has been shot at while working on tracks in the poorer areas of Bridgeport. That's f'ed up!

19. CompUser Guest

I don't think I would want to step into most part of the city itself.

20. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I used to work in Bridgeport. Like most cities, there are good and bad places. But I don't think I've ever felt "unsafe" in most of the areas I've ventured into. FWIW, I used to work in a refurbished factory building, which had chain link fencing all around it and was occasionally patrolled by dogs at night. There may or may not have been barbed wire on top of the fence. But I never felt unsafe, even when leaving the office late at night.