connecting 2 macs help

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by homeboyslim, Feb 19, 2004.

1. homeboyslim macrumors newbie

Hi i am a newbie to macs. My buddy and i are both running panther and want to connect to each other and share files (across town)...how can i go this...

2. Calliander macrumors member

Re: connecting 2 macs help

Assuming that you don't have a router (or you have one without firewall/dmz stuff), and your service provider doesn't do any sort of blocking at the modem level, you should be able to use the "Connect to Server" command in the "Go" menu from the Finder and enter your buddy's IP address. You will, however, need to know his login name and password or the same from an account he made especially for you and he will need the same from you.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, if they're new-ish Macs, you can get a really long Cat5 cable and transfer via AFP or some such thing. Or, one of you can burn a CD. Or, one of you can run an FTP server. Or, one of you can allow ssh logins, and use scp (not for the unix newbies though). You have options, give us a tad more info, and we can help you better. :)

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Directly (at least one...) connected to the internet?
    If so, that 'one' can open his "System Preferences", and select "Sharing", and enable "Personal File Sharing".
    Once that is turned on, the 'other' can select in the Finder the menu "Go", "Connect to Server...".
    Type the 'one's' IP address and hit "Connect".
    Use the login name/password of the 'one's' admin account.

You should be able to see the 'one's' HD and Home folder.

(no, the 'one' is NOT Neo)

Good luck!

5. Calliander macrumors member

Hehe. I forgot the Personal File Sharing part in my post. Thanks for the backup. ;)

6. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Re: connecting 2 macs help

one more way would be to use ssh ..if you are somewhat comfortable with unix..
    open the terminal, write ssh <friend's ip> you will be asked for password..you are in
    edit: oops ..counterfit already said that

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Re: Re: connecting 2 macs help

Darn tootin' I did! :)

8. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Macsrgr8 and Calliander, would that approach work for my home G3 on OSX running Road Runner cable access to my work G3 on OS 9.2.2 on a DSL ethernet?
    I would love to sit around in my undies scratching my ass while telling my boss I'll have the damn proof in a minute!!!
    :>)