Connecting 2 sets of speakers to a G4

Discussion in 'iPod' started by kdbilly, Mar 31, 2007.

1. kdbilly macrumors member

Nov 30, 2006
    Fog City
    hi, i am trying to figure out how to go about hooking up an additional set of speakers to my G4, which has my itunes library on it. i don't want to go wireless, just want to know what i need to do in order to add an additional set of speakers for my living room. not sure what i need... an amp? a mixer? i'm not the smartest with this stuff, so any help would be great. the speakers i have hooked up now sound great, i just want to attach another set in another room. is this possible without too much hassle? thanks!
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    presumably you have a set of powered speakers hooked to the G4 now via a 1/8" jack?

In general, you need to split the signal at the Mac sending one stereo pair to your existing speakers, and running another stereo pair via wires to the other room, where you will need 2 powered speakers. Alternatively, you could use this signal as an Aux or CD input of a stereo receiver or amplifier

One Stereo 3.5 mm splitter, then a 3.5 mm plug to a long wire run to -- whatever your livingroom system needs, perhaps a pair of RCA plugs

Maybe like This plus This

Plan it out so you get the right connectors along the path.