connecting 5.1 or 6.1 to PB or iBook..

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by toughboy, May 18, 2003.

1. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

Can we connect a 5.1 or 6.1 sound system to a PB or iBook? How? Do we need those digital decoders?

2. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

sure you can. plug in your cable. sound will come out. chances are, sound will be good. HOWEVER! dvd player will not output 5.1. i don't know of any games that will either. can you think of another reason why you would want 5.1?

>_<

3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Well, I mix 5.1 directly out of the PB from Logic and ReWired Reason, into a Dynaudio Air 5.1 rig, I use it mainly for post producing audio to video at the Uni or for mixing music into the 5.1 system then transferring it to DVD-v using AC-3 or DTS encoders, then I can play them on my DVD player at home or in the big teaching rooms at the Uni.

I use an eMagic 2/6 USB interface directly to the active speakers via a Sony DMX R-100 console in the studios, or directly to the analog inputs of an AV combo amp at home.

If I'm feeling especially bad, I'll sling the tracks into one of the ProTools HD systems and have a little fun:D

As melchior says, the DVD player in OSX is stereo only, but other players will direct the AC-3 stream to a digital output (VLC comes to mind) but you will need extra hardware with the digi out on it.

4. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

I've seen USB sound devices that will output to an SPDIF 5.1 surround. Not sure if they work on mac though. I guess they act as a usb soundcard. Can't remember the manufacturer or anything - google should do the trick

i have a usb sound device that outputs an analogue signal and an optical digital signal.

5. toughboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

toughboy

thanx to all...

I guess I need to buy a hardware digital output device after making sure that it works fine with mac.

6. 2112 macrumors member

there are 7.1 cards you can get into PMacs ... and if I'm not mistaken the Creative Extigy (USB) is supported by 10.2.3 onwards

7. toughboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

toughboy

Thats good news but is that card have a external version for portable macs?

8. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Emagic emi 2|6 is good USB. MOTU 828 is good FireWire but may be overkill since you probably won't need the 8 inputs. I'd go for the 2|6, I used one for live sets with my Powerbook and it's great.