connecting a 22" cinema display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by macdaddy121, Oct 22, 2004.

1. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

I own a 22" apple cinema display. I used to own a powermac and sold it and bought a 12" powerbook, pre dvi connection. My laptop was stolen about a month ago and I have recieved an insurance check. I don't know if i am going to purchase a power book. I was thinking about an ibook. Anyway, I was wondering how you would hook up the 22" cinema display to something without a dvi port. Say a dell desktop (not mine but my parents). I have heard of the dvi to vga adapter but i don't know if this is what i need. If anyone could help me understand this it would be a lot of help. Thanks.

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Are you sure the Cinema Display is DVI? I believe it was released with both DVI and ADC connectors. If it is DVI and all you have is VGA, there should be adapters out there, just need to look a little bit.

3. macdaddy121 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah

i hooked it up to a 15" pb at compusa just to make sure it still worked and it plugged straight into the pb dvi port. However, the apple genius at compusa didn't know which connecter would work. Is a vga port the regular monitor port that almost every other monitor works thorough?

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

This looks like what you need. Double check it though, don't just take my word.

5. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Disregard what the previous poster said. He thinks you are going to an analog monitor from a digital source, while it is the opposite. You need a costly converter to upgrade the analog signal, and it still is crappy. Do yourself a favor and get a powerbook, its worth it for this alone.

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Not confused about what he is trying to do, just uncertain about the hardware needed, which is why i asked for a second opinion ;)

7. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

No problem. We got this handled, son!

8. macdaddy121 thread starter macrumors 6502a

confused?

for anyone that is cnfused. I have an apple monitor and i want to hook it up to a dell. My monitor had a dvi connenction. My dell does not. What do i do? Will the adapter listed above work?

9. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

If all your dell has is analog VGA out then you will most likely need a new video card.