Connecting a Guitar Amp to my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by bli625, Mar 18, 2010.

1. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

I have to do a show in a few days and I have a MIDI keyboard in Mainstage. I need to output to speakers. Would it be possible to get a 3.5mm to 1/4" converter jack and plug a guitar amp into the 1/4" side so I could use the amp as the speaker. Would this blow the soundcard? I've been searching around but most things I have read just talks about plugging in a guitar and not an amp.

2. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

So you want to plug a cable into the headphone jack of your macbook and send the audio to your amp? That would be fine, though i dont think a guitar amp would sound best for a midi keyboard. It would be best to plug into the PA system if you can.

3. bli625 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bli625

Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah. So, PA system or guitar amp. I would just use the converter jack right?

4. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Yep, just a 1/8 to 1/4 will do it.
    If you are buying a new cable to do this i'd suggest Monoprice. They have the best prices around and have always been very good quality from what i've seen.

5. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

I've tried using a guitar amp in a pinch and while it worked, it sounded like utter crap. Just a heads up.

A cleaner solid state amp will work better.

6. bli625 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bli625

Woule a PA system sound just as bad? I also have a pair of M-Audio AV40's. Do you think those are loud enough to play in a pit orchestra in an auditorium?

7. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

A PA system will be the best thing you could use other than a keyboard amp. Guitar amps are built to make guitars sound great, nothing else. PA systems have to be able to make everything sound great.

8. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

A pa system will sound ok but really you should invest in a device designed for such setups. A good firewire device is your best bet. It will give you an output that is impedance and signal level matched to what a PA would need for the best possible sound.

9. ChrisA macrumors G4

Not for a solo performance, not even close. What you want is a pair of speakers that have 12" bass and a horn tweeters. Each backed up with about 100W amp. And yes I said "two" the keyboard is likely stereo. But if you are not playing solo and will be down in a mix then you don't want to be loud. It all depends on the goal.