connecting a Motorola V3 via USB

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by iZac, Jan 5, 2005.

1. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

I recently purchased a Motorola V3, and along with its goodies is a USB cable for connecting to my Mac. It has bluetooth and i have paired it, and had a lot of fun transferring files to it via the bluetooth file transfer utility, but copying an Mp3 onto it takes a good 15 minutes over bluetooth.

However cool it is to wirelessly access my phone (first time using bluetooth phones for me), the speed is slow for multi megabyte files. Can anybody tell me what i need to do via USB? i dont believe any drivers are needed, as iSync seems to adequately handle contacts and stuff, but i'm not sure how to transfer other file types to it via USB (is it stupid of me to have expected it to appear as a drive on the desktop?)

any help from fellow mac+V3 users, or generally smart people will be much appreciated :)

- Bob

2. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I am also keen to hear from v3 + Mac users...
    I'm thinking of getting one myself to match my 17" PB!

So you can confirm that despite v3 RAZR not being listed on the devices list in iSync - it sync's Address Book and iCal?

can you confirm that it does connect iSync v3 & Mac via bluetooth and not just via USB cable?

Anyone else out there with this phone?
    I've been reading that the Address Book in the v3 isn't great? any comments? How many phone numbers does it allow in each contact... and also if I'm allowed one more question - is there an Address field in the v3?

3. cawiddis macrumors newbie

Let me just say that I'm not a current Mac User, but I do have the Razr v3.

Absolutly no complaints about the styling of the phone... super light, sleek - its cool!

Being a long time Nokia user, the Motorolla Address Book software leaves me baffled - it sucks so bady!! I don't know how Motorolla Users have put up with this.

Firstly, you can store multiple numbers per contact - I don't know if there is a limit (the most I've got for one person is 5), and you can catergorise the numbers (work, cell, home, fax, email, IM, general). You can also categorise the contact itself (General, Private, Business). However, when you go scrolling through the address book, every single number is shown - for every contact. The display shows 8 entries, but my first screen has only two people - four numbers each. It seems to treat each number as a seperate contact vs Nokia grouping them underneath the primary number.

You can set the address book to display primary numbers only - but then there is no way to get to the secondary numbers... and if you haven't set a primary for a contact, that contact will disappear altogether (until you display all numbers again).

OK, so you can quickly skip to other contacts by typing their corresponding 1st letter (eg 'M'), however, you cant type the 2nd or 3rd letters to narrow the search. I want to get to Michael, if I press 'M' it takes me to Mark, then press 'I' it takes me back up to Ian. (vs Nokia narrowing the listed contacts to those starting with MI). So to get to Michael, I have to press M, and then scroll through around 20 entries (2 Marks, 3 Matthews - and all their associated numbers).

As you can probalby tell... I'm a frustrated Razr User. I do love the styling of the phone, and it is still my primary handset - I guess I'm getting used to these nuances.

Its kind of like a new pair of shoes - wow, they look good, but man they hurt! My old Nokia OS is like a pair of comfortable slippers... not so stylish, but no pain!

Chuckles

4. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I think when I was playing with this in the shop the other day... if you have Show Primary Contact only... all you have to do is Select the contact - and then it displays all the other numbers... press the down arrow to scroll through them. My only beef there is - it doesn't display all the numbers on one page - but one per screen.... I didn't realise this until I noticed the icons changing... and when I changed a primary number over as I was testing the multiple phone numbers per name.

Are your frustrations great enough to not recommend the phone?
    or are you still glad to carry it and show it off?