Connecting a Panasonic camcorder and a PowerBook G4

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ursli, Nov 1, 2004.

1. ursli macrumors newbie

Dear all

I'm afraid I'm a complete Apple newbie AND I'm in a very remote place and have no access to computer books, so I hope you can help me figure this out -it may be a very idiotic questions.

I have a PowerBook G4, 15 in, 1.33Ghz. I also have a Panasonic PV-GS15 camcorder with a DV-out port. I would like to connect the two. Can this be done?

I looked at the manuals for the camcorder and for the powerbook, and I couldn't make sense of it. Can any of you help?

Thanks very much!
    Humbly,
    Ness

2. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Dv Out no Firewire (Ieee 1394?)

Well first things first... the way Apple hardware (in my expeience at least) was for a computer and a digital camera to be connected via firewire, however if you lack the capabilities all is not lost... there are many third party video capture cards and with that said I most also add that quality comes with a price...

Another option would be to borrow someone elses digital camera with firewire capabilities and rig up a system like this...

Panasonic Camcorder >>> VCR >>> Digital Camera >>> Powerbook (via firewire)
    (Dv IN Firewire OUT)

Any further explaination or questions feel free to ask.

"Think different"

*** How are you enjoying your powerbook?

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If it's like my Panasonic the DV out == 4 pin firewire. Get a 4pin - 6pin firewire cable and away you go...

4. mslifkin macrumors regular

mslifkin

Welcome to the Mac world! I checked the specs on your camera, as far as what it comes with. They give you an A/V cable, and a USB cable, and unfortunately, neither one of those will work as far as getting DV into your PowerBook. You need to get a firewire cable; probably a 4 pin to 6 pin to connect the camera to your Mac. Once you plug it in and turn on the camera (in VCR mode) iMovie should start up. You should then be able to capture whatever you have on tape. If you want to "record live" from the camera direct to iMovie put the camera in Record mode (just take the tape out) and click the Import button in iMovie. I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions!

Regards,
    Marc

5. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

Yeah, a 4-pin to 6-pin Firewire cable should do the trick. I connect my Panasonic camcorder to my G4 desktop regularly, but I have also connected it to an old G3 Powerbook with an 'OrangeLink' PCMCIA Firewire adapter card and imported into iMovie there. Everything works without a hitch :)

6. ursli thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your help and patience! I do feel a bit stupid because once I got the cable, the transfer went without a hitch. I do love Macs! :D