Connecting a PB to a TV

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by thomasp, Aug 2, 2005.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I'm about to be getting a 15" combo Powerbook and I have a question about the visual output.

Is it possible to connect the PowerBook into a TV and see what's on the PB's screen on the TV screen? (like some digital cameras have, like the Canon Ixus)

If so, do I need any cables for this that don't come with the standard Powerbook package?

Thanks for the help :)

Edit:

My telly has standard coax inputs for video (yellow socket), left-stereo sound and right-stereo sound (white and yellow), as well as an S-video input.

2. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

There is an S-video output on the 15" powerbook and it comes with an S-video to RCA adaptor so you should have no problem hooking it up to a TV. I've done it multiple times to watch DVDs and other movies on our TV rather than be stuck with the 15" screen.

3. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

The resolution on your TV will not be as good as on your PB screen.

4. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great :)

Thanks for the speedy reply

Is an RCA adaptor a circular adaptor (kind of like the old mac mouse/keyboard plugs, but bigger) with a few pins in it? Or am I getting it confused with something else?

5. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

The one with all the pins is S-VIDEO, the RCA only has 1 pin, the cable that is supplied is purely to convert from the powerbooks onboard s-video to rca, and is only a few inches long :)

I will admit though, i'm yet to make it do anything useful with the rca adapter, haven't got a s-video to s-video cable to try that :rolleyes:

6. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

True, about all that it is good for is watching DVDs and other movies, and possibly gaming. TV's do not function well as primary monitors.

7. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, ok.

Does the RCA end of the cable have a pin coming out of it or a socket for the pin from another RCA to go into? I think I've got an RCA extension cable kicking around, but it has pins on both ends...

That's all I intend to do, and possibly show people slideshows of photographs (my digital camera has this facility, but I have to erase the pictures from the CF card sometimes...)

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

That's the cable you need.