Connecting Airport Express to HiFi

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DJC17, Jun 4, 2005.

1. DJC17 macrumors member

Before I order one, how does it connect?

I'm assuming it'll have RCA plugs that I can connect to a spare input on my amplifier?

Is it mains powered?

The Apple site isn't too clear with the pics :confused:

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Is it mains powered? LOL: It IS a mains plug. :D The prongs are built right into the Airport Express body...

To hook it to a stereo you need a Mini stereo jack to 2 x RCA Male cable. You can buy this from Apple or from a local electonics seller.

3. DJC17 thread starter macrumors member

Excellent - thanks.

It kind of looked like that, but I could only find one prong on the pic for the electric plug, where we have 3 in the UK.

I currently have the cable you suggest, but it's 5m long! I'll go get a shorter one :D

Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, WiFi, wireless moosik, bluetooth printer! Wow - all I need now is wireless electricity :cool:

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    They didn't reshoot the Express for non-US markets. The one sold in the UK has a three prong plug attachment rather than the US attachment. I love Apple's power-supply system. It makes using things in different countries so much easier!

5. brap macrumors 68000

It's a combo RCA/optical connector, so he could also use that. Works (apparently) for streaming 5.1ch DVD-Audio.

6. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

On the topic of Airport Express, I recently purchased and I'v been temporarily been using a $.25 Mini to RCA cable. Will switching that with a monster cable make a big difference in sound quality?

7. DJC17 thread starter macrumors member

Ok. Having spent a great deal of time and money on HiFi - here goes..

It really depends on your system. If you've got a budget "all in one" box with CD/Tape/Radio, budget speakers and cheapo speaker wire it will NOT make a difference. If it does, it will be so marginal you probably won't notice the difference whatsoever.

If you've got a decent or high-end seperates system, decent interconnects, speaker wire et all, then yes, it will make a difference - but it depends whether you're an audiophile as to whether you will notice the difference a lot!

8. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I wouldn't say that we have high end, but they're pretty good speakers. It's not an all in one kind of thing. I wouldn't say I'm an audiophile, but I know it could be better because the sound is 5 times better when watching a DVD(This AE is hooked up to the same speakers as my home theatre). It's only $30 so I guess I'll just buy it and see if it does make a difference.