Connecting Airport Express to Home Network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TechnoPagan, Nov 30, 2006.

1. TechnoPagan macrumors regular

Help me set-up my spiffy new, Black Friday impulse purchase: the Airport Express.

I have a wireless network that is *not* an Apple Airport Base Station. Instead, I have a 2Wire whatnot that provides to network for my house. I want to add the Airport Express to my home network so that I can connect it (the AE) to my stereo and still be able to surf/chat/whatnot.

The 2Wire is in the office; the AE is in the front room. They are approximately 50 feet apart from each other. The signal for the 2Wire is (as always) at full strength. The AE is blinking it's little amber light.

I've never run either the AirPort Admin Utility nor the AirPort Setup Assistant. In the AirPort Admin Utility, when I click "other" and attempt to plug in my router (172.xx.xx.x) & password, I get an error message: An error occurred while reading the configuration. So, obviously I'm doing something wrong.

Thoughts? Help? Thanks!

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Are you trying to extend your network with the Airport Express, or just use it for print server/AirTunes?

For you to expand the network, the 2Wire has to support WDS, and even then, I've heard there are different "flavors" that may or may not work with Airport(s).

For print server or AirTunes, use the setup assistant. It should find the Airport Express automatically. The Admin Utility only works with Airport(s). The 2wire should be configurable through Safari (or other browser).

Hope this helps.

3. TechnoPagan thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure. I think expand the network. I want to be able to use Airtunes *and* surf on the same computer. Right now I have an either/or choice.

I know not if 2Wire supports WDS. I was able to add TiVo/Slingbox to my network. Does that mean it can be a wireless distribution system?

That's when I go into my Local Network summary, right (http://172.xx.x.x/network/index.html)? I'm not sure how to add the AE. TiVo/Slingbox is connected through an Ethernet Bridge that essentially seems to be running through the electrical current (ethernet from the Sling to 1st bridge-->1st bridge plugged into an electrical outlet-->2nd bridge plugged into electrical outlet-->2nd bridge ethernet to 2Wire thingy)

Thanks for helping!

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If you've been using the 2Wire fine, you probably don't need to expand the range of your network.

The Airport Express will become a device on the network, just like the TIVO, only wirelessly. The Airport Setup Utility should guide you through setting it up for Airtunes, on the 2Wire wireless network. You need to use the Setup Utility, initially, then the Admin will see it.

5. TechnoPagan thread starter macrumors regular

Set up a new AirPort Base Station (select this option if you are setting up a new Airport Base Station) says "No new AirPort networks were found. Please make sure your AirPort Base Station is plugged in, in range of your computer, and then click Continue to scan again."

Change settings on an existing Airport Base Station (select this option if you want to change settings of an Airport Base Station that is already set up) allows me to Choose the available Airport network (2Wirexxx) but doesn't show anything to modify--no Airport Base Station Names or Airport IDs no matter how many times I click "scan again."

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I seem to remember running into that vicious circle myself. Try resetting the Airport Express to factory setting by using the end of a paper clip to press and hold the reset buttom, until the status light flashes quickly (about 5 seconds). The status light should start flashing after the startup is complete.

Page 17 of the Setup Guide shows the type of network it sounds like you're trying to setup. http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/AirPort_Express_Setup_Guide_v4.2.pdf

edit: the 2Wire would be where the Airport Extreme Base Station is in the diagram.

7. TechnoPagan thread starter macrumors regular

First, gr8tfly, thanks for your patience.

I'm completely stumped. I think I need to add the AE to the 2Wire network, which doesn't seem to be happening. The AE is blinking no matter how many times I reset it. I can connect to the AE separately--I can get AirTunes to work. But getting the AE on my home network so I can surf and listen to music? Still not so much.

I wish I could remember how I got TiVo onto the netowrk--that was one of those happy surprise moments. Sadly, it was less than a month ago. Is 34 too young for senility to be setting in?

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

hi - no. 34 isn't too young :)

If your 2Wire is setup to distribute IP addresses (DHCP), then you don't have to tell it anything about the Airport Express. The Setup Assistant uses zero-configuration technology (like Bonjour) to talk to the AE after it's reset to factory. There isn't (as far as I've seen) any default IP address to point at, like a router or your 2Wire. I'm assuming the 2Wire doesn't have any special setup, like blocking certain MAC addresses.

Mine's setup the same. The Airport Admin Utility won't see the AE until it gets through the Setup. I suspect it will be some combination of reset and power cycle to get the Setup Assist. to see it.

When you finally get it to show up in the Admin Utility, it should be setup as follows:

Airport tab:
    Name (just an example): Home AirTunes
    Airport Network: Join an Existing Wireless network (Wireless Client)
    (then select your network, and enter any security pw you have, like for WEP)

Internet tab:
    Connect Using: Wireless Network
    Configure TCP/IP: Using DHCP

Music tab:
    Enable AirTunes on this base station: checked
    (then enter a name for your AirTunes speakers, and password)

9. TechnoPagan thread starter macrumors regular

Apple should make their help docs easier to find :rolleyes:

I ended up googling til I found this. That, coupled with your advice
    and my blind luck (seriously, I can't tell you how it ended up working) eventually got things going.

Thanks again, gr8tfly

10. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

good - glad to hear it. enjoy! The AirTunes is great.