Connecting Apple cinema 27" display to pc

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sweeper604, Nov 10, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

I was wondering if there is an adapter or cable of some sort where you can plug in the minidisplay port from the ACD to dvi from the video card of a pc?

2. macrumors 601

Eddyisgreat

3. macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Nope, thats single link only. He will need the Atlona DP-400 (must be the 400) to properly display at the full resolution.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replys.
    Wow thats quite a pricy adapter! I was doing some research and i'm thinking that if i upgrade my video card and buy the Radeon 6850 or 6870 (which comes with a minidisplay port plug) then I can use it to connect to the cinema display, which would seem to be a better value than buying that adapter.

5. macrumors 603

MH01

go video card...

I would recommend a ATI video card that supports mini display port out. The adapters franky cost too much and are a hack, and do not give you full control of resolutions.

I got a 6870 to run a 24 LED and 27 imac in display mode, works a treat, just do your research which cards work. The new ATI cards even allow for sound to work through the mini displayport

6. macrumors newbie

I'm actually thinking about getting at 27" imac and using it my main display for my PC as well. Are there are issues with this setup? Is there a way to toggle the screen between OSX and the PC connected to it?

7. macrumors 65816

cherry su

Any video card with a displayport works. If it's a minidisplayport, that's great. If it has a regular displayport, then you need displayport(male) to minidisplayport(female) adapter.

8. macrumors newbie

I am not sure if this is entirely true, as the early 5xxx ati cards had issues with these displays. there are other threads indicating this, i'd do a search just to be safe

9. macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

This is mostly correct. The ATI 5xxx cards with a built in mini displayport generally do NOT work with the ACD with the exception of the eyefinity 5870 model with 6 mini displayports.

Luckily, the recently released ATI 68xx line has been released, and so far reports have been that the bug is fixed and they work great on the ACD.

A few Nvidia cards also have regular displayport outputs, and using a simple $10 converter cable seems to work well too (if you prefer Nvidia cards).

10. macrumors newbie

ACD 27" vs wxp/PC: HIS 5970 eyefinity mini diplay port

well im hoping i might find the right answers here, im planning on the 5970 HIS card, it has 1 mini display port/ hdmi and DVI of course.....also has Eyefinity i only have 1 monitor......i want the ACD 27" LED....do you think i need the DP400....or should i have smooth sailing:cool:

11. macrumors newbie

give me some help here macmen..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121388

heres my new video card above from newegg
    i dont have a mini port just DVI and displayport, i just ordered the The Atlona AT-DP400.......i should have a beautiful pix when my ACD 27" arrives ?

computer system:
    Asus CrossHair IV Extreme AMD/SAS 15k sas drives
    PC system

Thank you

12. macrumors 6502a

DVI to Mini-DisplayPort was not the best solution -- at all -- if you have a regular DisplayPort.

The best option would've been a DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort adapter, which is $10. I currently use this on my work-provided Lenovo Thinkpad T410s, which has a DisplayPort connector, to drive a 27" LED Cinema Display: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200691

I'd return that Atlona converter or cancel your order if you can still cancel it before it ships. It is needlessly expensive and complex considering you have a DisplayPort connector on that card.

13. Eric.Anthony, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

macrumors newbie

BTW: if i would use dp400 my pix would have been bad? but the simple converter gives you max viedo...yes?

good show!
    i see you have the 27" display , i kind of heard different on that one and i needed the dp400....ok i wondered why theres a display port on lots of cards....i will order right now i new there had to be a simple way.
    hows your picture on your acd 27"
    thanks alot

14. macrumors 6502a

The only real difference between DisplayPort and Mini-DisplayPort is the physical size of the connector. That's why a simple adapter that basically maps pins to a smaller connector just-plain-works.

Now if you ONLY had DVI... yeah... then you need something like the Altona. But you have DisplayPort, so save the bulky breakout box and $140. =P

The 27 LED CD is fine and dandy all things considered, either hooked up to a Mid-2010 Mac Mini or to the Lenovo Thinkpad 410s. There is some lack of backlight uniformity, but that's with any display, and is only really noticeable from a far distance (not the usual 20" viewing distance) when you're basically displaying black. No complaints compared to the previous 23" Aluminum HD Cinema Display.

15. macrumors newbie

Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter

i got the hdmi converter to adc and Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter,the apple tech said i can use both 1 at a time of course, i wanted both of them i will use the DVI 1st and see as good as it gets.
    so im happy to see things moving now....i will update you

16. macrumors newbie

keeping it simple mrfoo.....

i ordered the asus 5970 ati card, it has a minidisplay port and i ordered from monoprice.com 6ft. minidisplayport to female minidisplayport other end.
    so im waiting on this now.....now i can have a good good pix without all the mess with breakout boxes like you said keep it simple and clean correct!
    on my pc system and keyboard how do i go into the brightness menu controls on the ACD....thanks mr foo:cool:

17. macrumors 65816

henrikrox

i can atleast confirm the new 6970 cards work great with the ACD, those cards come with x2 mini displayport, and thats great

18. macrumors newbie

Mini DisplayPort to regular DisplayPort adapter

I have been wondering the same thing. I'm in the market for a great 27 inch monitor, and I have a PC. I checked out the Dell UltraSharp U2711 and the Apple Cinema Display 27, and liked the Apple product much more. Looks so wonderful and crisp.

The folks at Apple had a hard time telling me how to connect the Apple Cinema Display to my brand new laptop. It has only a VGA port and DisplayPort. No DVI. They helped me figure out that the Apple CinemaDisplay has a Male MiniDisplay port that comes out of the monitor. And my PC has a Female DisplayPort on it. So, just found this adapter. I just ordered it and will see if it works:

http://estore.circuitassembly.com/p...ort-Male-Adapter-Cable.html?revpage=2#reviews

Less than 20$.

The page displays a list of video cards that won't work with it, so check before buying!

19. macrumors newbie

I've been using the Gefen adapter for about 6 months. Works fine, no issues with it at all. It's not getting hot or making noises. So if you decide on an adapter, I'll give a +1 to the Gefen. But yea, very pricy :(

20. macrumors regular

Works fine? The Gefen adapter can't output higher than 1920x1200. Do yourself a favor and get a new video card or an Atlona DP-400! Why buy an Apple LED Cinema 27" if you aren't going to use it @ 2560x1440???

21. macrumors newbie

There are also straight MiniDisplayPort-to-DisplayPort cables available. With such a beast, you need no adapter at all.

Hm... Those cables *do* work both ways, right? (That is, between e.g. a Mac and a Dell monitor *and* between a ThinkPad and an Apple Cinema Display.)