Connecting at a whopping 342bps

Discussion in 'Community' started by Macpoops, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Macpoops macrumors 6502

This is more of a rant about my college's network then anything else, but i do have a few questions. Ok So my college admitted more freshman then they ever did before this year. Big Deal right. Well apparently this extra load is putting a severe strain on the college's T1 based network. 1.5-2 T1s to support roughly 1400-1500 students. Do these numbers seem a bit off? Well last year i used to get access around 10kbps though not blazing it was more then adequit. This year on the other hand i get the pleasure of connecting at a blazing average speed of 500bps. Apparently our IT department didn't do it's job because "We were unaware of the increase in enrollment" It;'s not like the college doesn't know how many new students are coming am I RIGHT? I think all colleges require some kind of deposit before enrolling. Call me crazy. The major question i have is just how hard is it to add bandwith to an existing network? i don't know alot about IT just a little more then your average person. I just want to know what kind of limitations are there when it comes to adding another T1 or possibly bumping up to a T3?

2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Cost is the biggest factor. A T3 is WAY more expensive than running multiple T1 connections. My college just saw an increase in the number of Freshman, but it hasn't slowed down the network at all. Over the summer, they added several more T1 lines, and they completely changed over to a new system of servers. Last year I was getting a rate of about 10bps, now I'm getting about 100 times that rate. It's unbelieveable.

3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

all they really need to do is put a cap on everyones bandwidth usage. It may suck but it'll keep things under control until they can get a faster host.

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

At Pascack Hills there used to be only 600 or so students for several years, until a sh**load of freshman came into the place. Nevertheless, I can still connect via the T1 lines up to about 10 times faster than dial-up.

5. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Blech, Freshman :p

6. Chomolungma macrumors regular

10bps (10 bit per second) that is pretty slow. Don't you mean 10Bps (10 bytes per second), but even this is pretty slow (much slower than a 56K modem).

At my university I have a T1 connection, and surfing usually @ ~100 KBps. I'm still waiting for that internet 2 to come

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

DUDE! At 10bps it would take about a week to reload the MacRumors main page! :eek:

I'm sure he meant 10Kbps, because, speaking from someone growing up with ONLY dial-up in the house, you cannot surf the internet efeeciently with 10bps, unless it was through a phone and for .txt pages.

8. Macpoops thread starter macrumors 6502

Clarification

No i do not mean 10 kilobytes per second. I can only hope and dream for that at this point in time. Yes, i did say 10 bits per second. My bad. But i did load the post reply page at the blazing speed of 81-105 bytes per second. I am seriously getting annoyed with this. It's crippling. I never thought dial-up speed was such a luxury. I think i would settle for about 4KBps right now. That is slow but atleast it's do able. Maybe i should take a trip to see those AMAZING Albright College IT professionals and tell them in person just how good a job they are doing.

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I have found that after using my cable at home (downloads generally are ~250 kb/sec), I cant use anything else. It is so slow, even if it isnt really slow, that I can't stand it.....

10. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I can never remember if it's bps, Bps, KBps, or whatever. All I know is that I downloaded a 20mb (MEGA BYTE) file in 1 minute. That's pretty darn fast if you ask me.