Connecting Camcorder to my Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Wilson, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Wilson macrumors regular

I have an old camcorder that I want to use as a webcam and I was wondering how I would be able to hook it up to my mac. It's not a DV, it's the one that uses the small cassettes. It does not have any USB cable or anything...only the red/yellow/white wires to hook it to the T.V. Does anyone know how I would be able to set up my camcorder to use as a webcam?

Also, if I wanted to video chat with a person that uses a PC, would it be best to use Yahoo Messenger?

Thanks in advance.

2. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

An analogue to digital converter would be a start... AV to firewire.. Search around... I don't know if that will allow webcam use though.

3. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

It might be possible to use it with MSN, or Yahoo for a webcam but i really doubt that iChat would support it even using a 3rd party tool like ichatusb. Here is a list of Analog to Digital convertors, this should help you get started http://www.macworld.com/2001/08/reviews/converters/. The ones from Dazzle are usually cheaper, but they are also crap in qaulity from my experience. If youre using it for only a webcamera though it shouldnt matter too much. Also keep in mind those reviews are from 2001, the model number may have changed and the prices will definatley be A LOT lower. If you find one you like go to the main company page or click on the link as it may redirect you to the current lineup of products.

Good Luck
    Ed