Connecting External Speakers to a computer with no audio output

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by King Cobra, May 28, 2002.

1. King Cobra macrumors 603

I am looking to get a Four Point Surround 2000 (FPS2000) Digital Stereo System from Cambridge Soundworks, and I want to hook in up to my computer. However, if I am not mistaken, the 0.5GHz Cube does not have audio output, and audio seems to be USB based.

www.cambridgesoundworks.com

So what would be the best way to connect the speakers system to my computer if it lacks an audio output?

BTW, Alpha recommended the system and I am sure he would help me a lot with this one. No pressure, man! :)

Fear the King.

2. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I think a USB audio port would be better than the one that the Macs used to have. The audio output of the macs suffers of a very high level of harmonic distortion, the same with the imput. I says 44.1 at 16 bit but sounds like 14 bit.

I say that because I once play for mistake an mp3 file from th iTunes thru my Audio Media 3 card and the difference was the same from the sound of a VCR to a DVD, that big the difference is, even with MP3 format.

3. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I was looking at that too...only I only want a woofer and two speakers.....

Alpha...??

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Go to the Apple Store, click on the Music & Audio subcategory and scroll down to the "iMic USB Audio Interface - Griffin". It's got 1/8" sound I/O and connects via USB.

5. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

I think that I would go with the iMic from Griffin Technology . I have never tried it(I have no use for it) but I have seen a ton of good reviews.

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

iMic

I originally bought a Griffin iMic for Audio Input on my Quicksilver G4, but i tried its Audio Output feature just for the heck of it and wow, it is better than the built-in!

7. King Cobra thread starter macrumors 603

I appreciate the help guys. I knew that there was some way to convert audio-in to USB, but I wanted to know the best way to do that.

Here's an interesting question: Why in the blue he!! would Apple remove their audio output from their computers back in 1999 (I think 1999)? I've heard there have been several complaints about this. Will USB continue to be an audio port for music forever, or does Apple plan to ever bring the audio port back to their product line?

Just a thought.

Fear the King.

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I personally think it was an incredibly stupid move! It's just one step harder for us to connect home stereo peripherals to our comps. I consider myself fortunate to have a G4 PCI for the sole purpose that it has the 1/8" audio I/O in back! Too bad they dropped the ADB port when they switched over to the Yikes G4 from the B/W G3's... I could have really used that for my Newtons.

I LOVED the days when the beige towers had ALL the ports, and I mean ALL... the RCA ins/outs, both 10 and 100 base-T ethernet ports, ADB, and not to mention we can add USB and FireWire connectivity via a PCI slot! The beige G3 towers are still great boxes IMO.