Connecting Ibook to External Speakers

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by zbeck, Dec 22, 2003.

1. zbeck macrumors newbie

Help, I need to determine which of these two options has better sound quality

1. Connecting Ibook to external speakers using 1/8 mini-plug output to 1/8 mini-plug input on external speakers (Klipsch pro media THX 2.1)

2. Connecting Ibook to external speakers using 1/8 mini-plug output to RCA stereo inputs on external speakers (Klipsch pro media GMXA 2.1)

I'm trying to determine if I should buy the Klipsch THX 2.1 which just has a 1/8 mini plug or the Klipsch 2.1 GMX 2.1, which has 1/8 mini plug and RCA stereo inputs.

Not sure what to do, please help and offer opinion

2. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

to be honest i can't see that it'll make any difference whichever one you get - you'd simply plug the 1/8 minijack into the headphone socket, and then whatever you like at the other end

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think it all depends on the quality of the cables you use. Use a ****ty stereo 1/8" -> stereo RCA, you get ****ty sound. Use great stereo 1/8" -> stereo 1/8", it will sound better.

4. zbeck thread starter macrumors newbie

Digital Connection/Motu 828

Thanks! sounds like there really won't be a big difference if using comparable quality connectors.

Also, I have a Motu 828 and was thinking about the possibility of using the digital connection on that to connect to a speaker system with a S/PDIF connection. Does anyone have any thoughts on if there will be a big sound quality gain from that?

It may eliminate some of the hissing caused by the analog connection.