Connecting iMac/7300 without a monitor

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Bedawyn, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Bedawyn macrumors regular

Help, please? I have a Indigo iMac running Panther and an old PowerMac 7300 that I want to pull files off. I've got the crossover cable and AppleTalk turned on, but the PowerMac isn't showing up anywhere on the iMac. And the real problem -- I don't have a monitor for the PowerMac anymore, and no way to see what its AppleTalk settings are. I don't even remember what it was running -- possibly 9, maybe something earlier. There must be some way to control it through the iMac? Please, please?

2. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Networking Macs is a doddle, but you do need a monitor to actually see what your doing!!

If i can remember the 7300 seris used Apples own monitor cables - which means either buying an Apple monitor (cheap from eBay but P + P will be as much if not morethan the actual purchase cost) or getting an Apple to SVGA adaptor like the one im holding in my hand right now. :eek:

Used to use it with my old 6500/250.

3. Bedawyn thread starter macrumors regular

*sigh* I also have a blueberry iMac which I'm fairly positive was successfully connected to Adam (the PowerMac) at one point very long ago. However, the blueberry's hard drive mysteriously died one day and won't mount anywhere either. However, the machine itself used to still work fine when I hooked it up to a LaCie external hard drive. So, I thought maybe that might help, I could at least use it as a monitor. But now the blueberry isn't even getting that far -- instead of a giving me a blinking question mark for a while until it finally finds the external drive and then booting it normally, today it just gives me a blank grey screen with no icon at all. When hooked up to the external hard drive, after several minutes of blankness, it just flashed white once... but no, now it's finally blinking the question mark at me, so maybe it's just taking longer than I remembered. On the other hand, it's entirely possible that there are steps to take, keys to press and what not, that I don't remember. When I hooked the blueberry up to just Adam and not the LaCie, it gave me a blank screen but eventually also gave me a couple of alert beeps (from Adam, I think) that Adam didn't give when hooked up to the Indigo.

Okay, the blueberry is now running off the LaCie, and it just makes me remember how much I miss 9, with screen fonts I could actually read. And it's physically connected to the PowerMac, but nothing's show up in AppleShare. There's also a mysterious "RAM Disk" icon showing up on the desktop which I don't remember ever seeing before, although it says it's empty. Any clues what to try next?

4. Bedawyn thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I was afraid of that. :) At least as far as setting it up initially. I'm hoping now there's some way to use the blueberry as the monitor for Adam, and then get the files off it onto the LaCie. But I vaguely remember there being something about having to turn the machines on in the right order to get them to mount, and I don't remember which order, and anyway that was assuming a two-machine system instead of three.

One day I will see if I can't recruit someone local to come cannibalize these things into one decent working Frankenstein in the blueberry case and take the rest of the parts off my hands!