Connecting iMac to linksys router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Vormech, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Vormech macrumors newbie

Vormech

I'm trying to connect my linksys router to my eMac and iMac wirelessly but I haven't had much success. Right now I have both wired to the router, but I want to connect my Intel iMac wirelessly to the router but I'm not sure how.

I also would like to know how to setup wireless security so no one will be able to access my connection. All the support for the linksys routers only seem to concern PC's and not Macs. Any suggestions would be helpful.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

With your computer connected to your router, open any web browser and type http://192.168.1.1/ in the address bar. This will give you access to the router's settings. From there you can turn on the wireless signal, give it a name and protect it using either WEP or WPA encryption. WPA is much better than WEP although older devices won't be WPA compatible.

Once you have done that, turn on your airport in OS X, select your chosen wireless network name, enter the encryption key that you specified in your router settings and you should be all set.

3. Vormech thread starter macrumors newbie

Vormech

Okay, I went to the site and changed the password but I still can't connect. I turned on the Airport and scrolled down to my network name and typed in the password but it said there was an error connecting to the airport. Seems like I'm doing something wrong here.

4. Kevin83165 macrumors regular

Double check your password, erase it and start again to make sure this isnt the problem

5. Vormech thread starter macrumors newbie

Vormech

So, is it the password under Wireless Security or under administration for the local router access?

6. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

To change the settings of the box (Admin) look in Administration

To secure your Wireless go to Wireless Security

7. Vormech thread starter macrumors newbie

Vormech

Alright, I seem rather confused at this point. I tried to change my password in the administration menu and I erased the password that was there. I typed in a new one and saved it but when I went back to it, it showed the same password and not the new one.

My iMac seems to be able to connect wirelessly when I disable the security mode but I need to have the security feature working. When I go into wep mode and set my password which generates four sets of keys. Do I need these keys for some reason or not? When wep mode is active, everytime I type in my password an error message saids that there was an error joining the airport network. All I really need to do at this point is to be able to change my password and enable the security without any problems.

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I think you are confusing the two different 'passwords'.

The password you specified under the Administration tab of the router settings has nothing to do with wireless. This is simply the password you need to access your router settings at 192.168.1.1

The wireless security is controlled from the Wireless->Wireless Security tab. If you want WEP encryption, select WEP from the Security Mode box, then select 128 bit 26 hex digits from the WEP encryption pulldown menu. Now, enter some passphrase into the next box and click generate.
    This will generate the wireless keys below. Copy down Key 1, also copy it to your clipboard.

Now, try connecting to your wireless network. When it asks for authentication, use Key 1. This should work.

9. Kendall015 macrumors regular

If the linksys router you are talking about is the WRT54G/WRT54GS then the problem could be with the router itself...I had to downgrade the firmware on my WRT54GS (version 5) in order to get my Mac connected. You should definitely try other people's suggestions first, though.

10. Vormech thread starter macrumors newbie

Vormech

Well, I seem to have everything working now but for some reason I can only use WPA personal security mode and not WEP. When I try to switch it to WEP it just automatically goes back to WPA personal for some reason. But I just used the WPA shared key as the password and it worked.

Hopefully the problem with switching the security mode on the WRT54G isn't due to upgrading the fireware to v1.01. Thanks for the responses everyone.

11. HelpMiMac, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

HelpMiMac macrumors newbie

Problem connecting iMac to Linksys Router

I just opened my first new iMac today and was trying to wirelessly connect it to our Linksys Router. I was having the same problem as Vormech where I was trying to add the iMac's MAC address to my Linksys under the 192.168.1.1 Wireless MAC Filter section. I already have our other wireless electronics' MAC addresses added as well and they work fine. But when I chose our network and typed in the passphase that's been used on all our other computers, laptops, Nintendo DS's and Wii, as well as the PS3 and iPhone, the new iMAC is saying the same as Vormech where it's telling me that I am using the incorrect password. I've checked over and over again for misspelling as well as the CAPS lock and I did type it correctly. What am I doing wrong? I also have it under the WPA personal security mode but it doesn't work for me as it did for Vormech. I typed in my passphase in the password area when it asks for the security password for our wireless connection but to no avail. I am not an expert in troubleshooting computers so can anyone please, please, please help??