Connecting iMac to stereo????

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by burger011, Jun 21, 2003.

1. burger011 macrumors regular

Jan 2, 2002
    I'd like to connect my iMac 600mhz 10.2 to my stereo how do I do this? Thanks for the info.

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop

I'm not intimately familiar with the ports of your model. Do you have a headphone jack?

If not, I'd recomment a iMic for Audio through USB. That'll solve your problem.
  3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA

Ok, find your speaker port. The one with with the little speaker on it, that you would normally hook up computer speakers to.

Then, go to an electronics store and get a Mini to RCA cable, they usually run about 4 bucks. Make sure you get the stereo model, and not the Mono.

Then, plug that into the back of your mac. It will split the audio into 2 cables, and then you can hook up your speakers via rca cables. Quite easy.

If you want to have sound on both, you will need a splitter, its like Mini>2 Mini.

Mini is that speaker port.
  4. benjaminpg macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2002
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Remember not to connect it to a Phono input, as this will add extra equalization to your input. A tape input should be fine.
  5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Using your speaker port might not work. At some point in time Apple started using a propriatary<sp?> speaker jack which is a bit smaller than a mini jack (which is 1/8"). If your iMac has the "apple" jack for the speakers you'll need to use the head phone jack which is the standard 1/8" jack. Also, I don't know that much about speakers and such, but I don't know if the iMac pushes enough power (watts) out the speaker and/or headphone ports to allow proper powering of home theater type speakers. You might have to run from the iMac into an amp and then into your stereo.

6. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    that stupid "pro speaker jack" was idiotic in my opinion. it actually fits a 3/16" (? i think, could be wrong, but i tried this at one time with a mini plug) plug and it fit in just fine, but then os x gave me an error about not connecting pro speakers to the port. apparently that port also sends out a certain wattage to the speakers to help power them. it was a cool idea, but no speaker company wanted to pick up on it.

so, use the headphone jack if the only available speaker jack is the stupid apple pro speaker jack. (if you are unsure, get a headphone cable and try sticking it in the speaker jack, if it doesn't fit, then you have the pro speaker jack)
  7. burger011 thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 2, 2002