connecting imac to tv screen problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by patrice, Nov 7, 2005.

1. patrice macrumors newbie

i just bough a video adapter for the iMac, i plugged the video cable (yellow end cable) from the imac video adapter to the tv (which is an lcd screen) and i can t get a good image, i only get a wavy diform image. i tried to changed the setting of the screen through the imac and throught the screen by itself. what should i do?
    thx

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

what kind of tv?
    what kind of imac?
    and what resolution are you trying?

3. patrice thread starter macrumors newbie

4. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Wouldn't the LCD TV have better inputs?

The yellow TV connector is suited for older CRT style televisions, and you'll have to set the resolution to 800x600 or less in order to get a picture over the composite connection.

The LCD TV likely has a VGA connector that might work with autodetection.

5. patrice thread starter macrumors newbie

well yeah it has better inputs but the video adapter for the imac has two outputs: s-video and the one for the yellow cable. i m gonna try again later by changing a few setting and see whats up. if i make it, i ll drop all my settings here.

6. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

The iMac itself has a VGA output. The best results would be achieved by using that port, rather than downsampling to composite or S-video. It would also likely report an identifier string that could allow OS X to configure the display for you.

The LCD TV may not have come with a VGA cable, but you should be able to pick one up for less than $10...or a neighbor with an LCD monitor probably has a spare.

7. yamasen macrumors newbie

Similar Problem getting IMAC connected to TV

Hi, got the VGA adapter and connected a cable to my HDTV and iMac. When I did this with a PC with just the cable (no adapter), it worked fine when I hit RGB on the TV control (I got the picture of whatever was on my PC screen).

Now with the iMac Adapter I cannot see anything. It says "No Signal" even though all devices are tightly connected. My iMac has a 2GHz Intel Duo core processor and OSX Version 10.4.11. The TV is a VIZIO VX37L.

Any help is welcome.
    Thanks! Yamasen

FYI
    Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac5,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09
    SMC Version: 1.8f2

8. anselltoskas macrumors newbie

I have been having a very similar problem with my iMac and was wondering if anyone has found a solution. Here is my set up:

24" iMac (2007) with mini-DVI to DVI cable and DVI to VGA cable plugged into my 37" VIZIO LCD TV.

My iMac shows a second display as connected and lists a HDTV giving my resolution options, but my TV always just shows a blue screen and says no signal. I have double checked the connections and searched around the web with no success :-/

9. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

Did you make sure to press the RGB button on the remote? This will turn on the VGA port that is on the Vizio TV. I have a 42" Vizio here at home and it works perfectly with my MBP. I use a VGA cable from the TV to my MBP with the DVI adapter. Hope this helps you out there!

Also, don't forget to turn on video mirroring on the iMac.

10. anselltoskas macrumors newbie

Hello,

I tried hitting the RGB button my my remote and it still won't show up, all it shows is a blue screen that says no signal :-/ My computer shows the TV monitor as you can see in this screen shot I took with spaces:

[​IMG]

The only two conclusions I can come to as to the problem, at least on a hardware level is either the combo of miniDVI to DVI and DVI to VGA cables are not making the connection happy or else there is something wrong with he port on my TV, which doesn't seem likely since my computer can see the TV screen in it's display preferences. I would just hook it up with HDMI, but all my ports are full and I would rather just use the VGA, so I don't have to switch around plugs all the time.

Thanks for your tip! and Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me :)

11. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

No problem on the tip... have you tried just using the VGA to DVI cable without using the MiniDVI cable? Or just using a VGA cable with a VGA/DVI adapter?

12. anselltoskas macrumors newbie

Well my iMac only has Mini-DVI, so I need to use the Mini DVI Cable, but I was thinking about going out and getting a Mini-DVI to VGA cable to see if that works, instead of chaining to different converters together. My friend is going to bring down the Mini-DVi to VGA he has tomorrow, so I can give it a try.

13. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

Hopefully it will work for you there without any problems. :)

14. FireArse macrumors 6502a

PB 12 Mini DVI to CRT 32 TV

Hey guys, rather than post a new thread, I found this 'near enough' thread.

As the title suggests, I have a 12PB with Mini DVI out. I bought the Mini DVI -> Video, but the quality is quite bad. It's OK when I play a movie, but the screen is definitely unusable as a monitor. There are horizontal lives and they oscillate.

I'm using the Video in port on my 32 WEGA Sony TV, it is a 100HZ TV, there are all sorts of settings on those things - anyone have any ideas? Also the sizing is really bad too :(

Might just wait to get a 1080P display...

15. hob macrumors 68020

hob

CRT TV's tend to be unusable as computer monitors, due by design - they're designed to play video!

If you want a TV as a second monitor, the LCD flat panel thing you mentioned would be the one to use !