Connecting iPod Hi-Fi to Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Demon Hunter, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

What cable do I need?

The Apple Store has this cable online: Belkin PureAV Digital Optical Audio Cable with Mini-Toslink Adapter

But the reviews are very confusing, i.e. you need two adapters, breaks easily, doesn't work, etc.

I just want to use my iPod Hi-Fi as my computer's main stereo using an optical connection...

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

You can find TOSLink to mini-TOSLink optical cables at many home theater stores, and even at Radio Shack.

I've been using full-to-mini and mini-to-mini TOSLink cables for over 10 years now, and my very first cable still works just fine. (It's been wrenched around often, plugging and unplugging from my stereo, minidisc recorder, discman, computers, and more. Probably hundreds of insert/removes, still holds firmly.)

edit: Just noticed that you have a Mac Pro, so you only need mini-TOSLink on the iPod HiFi, the Mac Pro has a full size (square) TOSLink jack.

3. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

So would this cable from the Apple Store work? :confused:

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Yeah, it will work just fine. But if people are complaining that it breaks easily, you might want to get a different one.

Specifically, what you need is a TOSLink to mini-TOSLink cable. The one the Apple Store is selling is a TOSLink to TOSLink, with an adapter to turn one end to mini-TOSLink. From the reviews, this adapter is the weak point. So I'd go for a cable that is natively mini on one end, rather than full size plus an adapter. The 'AirPort Express stereo connection kit' is only $9 more, and it includes a mini-to-full TOSLink cable, a headphone to stereo RCA cable, and an Apple power cord (the part that goes from the brick to the wall, that way you don't have to use the little 'plug-the-brick-directly-into-the-wall' adapter.)

(TOSLink is the square shaped optical port, mini-TOSLink is an optical port that looks sort of like a standard headphone plug, and often (as in all of Apple's products other than the Mac Pro that include optical audio,) is shared with an analog headphone or line-in port.)

5. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

Now it makes sense. :) Thanks a lot!

6. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

or you can get 3.5mm Stereo Jack Plug - 3.5mm Stereo Jack Plug

that will do exactly the same and a damn sight cheaper too