Connecting Mac and PC through USB

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by vniow, Nov 29, 2002.

1. vniow macrumors G4

Hi, just got my iBook today and when I tried to connect it to my PC for some files over a networking cable, my PC crashed.
    Seems like I have a bad card.

But I do have a USB cable that is currently connected to both computers but I can't figure out how to make them talk to each other.
    I'm using OSX (not too bad speedwise actually)

Anybody got any pointers until I get a new ethernet card?

2. big macrumors 65816

big

you must use a cross-over cable

or restart the mac, holding down the "T" key, and it will reboot as an external harddrive.

dont know how that would work with different formating though

if you can do that with a Mac, can you do it with a PC? because the mac can read PC formats.

in any instance, let me know if any of that helps.

3. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

4. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Damn. Didn't work.
    All it did was disable my trackpad for some reason. Maybe I'm using the wrong cable.
    The Move2Mac thingie that Assassin suggested uses a special cable to connect both computers and I don't think I have that.

Looks like it's a new ethernet card for me.

5. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

mm... i forget what its called on the pc, but if you have 95/98 go to start>programs>accessories>(utilities??)

there should be some program similar with 'connection' in the name. If it isnt there go to (ugh, i dont want to remember windows, i tried to block it all out) ad/remove programs.

go to accessories and look in there

6. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

A ethernet card would be the best move, seeing as how they are $19 some places and have faster speeds. The Move2Mac thing includes the cable. As for the target disk mode, i remember that from my old pismo. It uses firewire, not USB

7. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

hopefully u can get it to connect sooner or later...grr stupid computer store...ive been waiting patiently for almost 2 weeks...either they havent ordered it, its taking the supplier centuries to send it, or the computer store has it but forgot to email me....hurry up stupid comp store...
    when i FINALLY get the mac, im just going to use a firewire harddrive to transfer stuff over (First format it to a kind of partition both recognized by windows and mac)

8. big macrumors 65816

big

I tried using my iPod for that reason (file transfer between PC & Mac) and the PC wanted to reformat the iPod.... Could I still use it like a normal iPod if it were reformated? the mac can read windows disks, so I dont see why not....

any leary suggestions against this?