connecting MAC to WINDOWS

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigkito, Dec 20, 2006.

1. bigkito macrumors regular

I just got my MBP and im trying to transfer my music from my windows PC, I connected the two with an ethernet cable and under Network Connections on my PC it says "Network Bridge MAC Bridge miniport"

i have no clue of what to do now, does anyone know anything about this

2. Gee macrumors 65816

Try reading our Macrumors networking guide here: http://guides.macrumors.com/Networking_Windows_with_Mac_OS_X

3. iMinnesotan macrumors member

iMinnesotan

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Did you use a straight cable or a crossover cable. For a direct hookup without using a switch or router only the crossover cable will work.

All network devices or either "computer-like" or "hub-like" straight cable connect unlike devices, crossover cables are needed to connect like devices.

5. Gee macrumors 65816

Oh, and by the way, the 'network bridge MAC bridge' you refer to is nothing directly to do with your Mac. MAC stands for Media Access Control; Mac is short for Macintosh. MAC addresses are unique code numbers that identity networked devices (so your Mac has a MAC address, but so does your PC). Make sense?

Check out the guide I linked to earlier for a step by step about how to do the netowrking - should take about 5 mins if you follow the instructions.

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Newer macs can auto sense and crossover as needed, so a crossover cable should NOT be necessary.

7. setso macrumors member

..on win-xp you can do a search for computers
    ..search for the real name (can take a while)
    ..don't forget the firewall (testing on(off)