Connecting MacBook Pro to Apple Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Noted, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Noted macrumors member

Hi

I have a 15" MacBook Pro and I want to connect it to my 20" 1680x1050 Apple Cinema Display. Problem is, when I connect it straght to the Cinema with DVI, I get the option on my MBP to choose 1680x1050 but it doesnt change on the Cinema.

And before you ask, yes I pressed the display switcher button on the MBP.

How do I get the MBP to output 1680x1050 to my Cinema Display?

2. gallagb macrumors 6502

gallagb

not 100%
    but check under sys pref's
    under displays

tinker there

3. Noted thread starter macrumors member

Thats not much help. I just said tthats what I'd been doing. I tried changing the resolution there but it doesnt change on the Cinema Display itself.

Anyone else?

4. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Are you mirroring? - you can't mirror at a resolution beyond that of the primary display (i.e. your MBP). If you want just one screen (cinema display), close the MPB lid.

if you are extending your desktop, when you open up display prefs there should be a separate dialogue box on each monitor

5. Noted thread starter macrumors member

Ahhh so if I close the MBP, the the Cinema Display will be able to do 1680x1050?

6. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

yes - either close the lid and use one display (cinema), or use both displays but make sure mirroring is off (extended desktop)

7. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

But the 15" MBP doesn't support 1680 x 1050 so maybe that's why it doesn't want to work mirrored :p

8. Akulab macrumors newbie

connect MBP to 20" display

i have a 15" MBP and i want to connect to a 20" display using the DVI to ADC adapter but the display cable doesnt fit into the adapter. do i need an extra adapter? ty

9. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

First, you should create new threads for new topics instead of hijacking others. But since you're a newbie I forgive you. :p I need a bit more information to help you here, I can't make out what you are trying to say. You're putting the video feed through an analog-digital-converter? Why?