Connecting Macbook Pro to Samsung HDTV - Here's what I have

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jeremym, Feb 8, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm a pretty big noob when it comes to these things and here are some cables I currently have and the possible inputs that are on the back of my TV/Monitor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the repetitive thread :(

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. simsaladimbamba

You could just use ONE MiniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter plus HDMI cable or a MiniDisplayPort to HDMI cable.

from

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, so should I just return my Mini Displayport to DVI adapter and buy a MiniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable?

5. macrumors regular

That's what I use with my MacBook Air and Samsung HDTV and it works great! (FYI I did have to change a few settings here and there to get the best picture).

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like I'll try to do that then! How much did the cables cost and did you buy them from Apple?

7. simsaladimbamba

You can try, if the cables and adapters you have work, but a simple adapter plus extension cable has fewer errors than two adapters and one cable.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Pretty embarrassing but I don't know if all the cables I currently have do work. By looking at them, if possible, is there a way I could just use these right now and have it work? What would I plug into where?

9. simsaladimbamba

I just looked at the photos, and I think, they will not work, due to the MDP> DVI adapter having a FEMALE DVI port, the DVD cable being MALE on both ends (as far as I can't tell, but the ones I have seen are) and the DVI>HDMI adapter being MALE on the DVI side and FEMALE on the HDMI side, while your TV has a FEMALE HDMI port.
    In order for this to work, you need that MDP>HDMI adapter+cable I talked about earlier.

10. macrumors P6

Peace

I'm guessing your MBP has a mini-display port ?

All you need is the mini display port to HDMI connector assuming your HDTV has speakers.

11. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it does. Thanks for the answers guys!

So I'll just get the mini display port to HDMI and then I'll need an HDMI cord and then I'm good to go? :eek:

12. simsaladimbamba

Yes.

13. macrumors 601

ixodes

I have my 15" 2010 MBP connected to my new 65" Samsung Smart LED TV. Its just amazing.