Connecting monitors to MBP?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by manosaurus, Mar 11, 2007.

1. manosaurus macrumors 6502

Aug 22, 2006
    I am in in the mixing stage of a project now and I am going to be working in a space other than that which was being used for the recording. I want to take my same m-audio DX4 studio monitors ( to the new space to do the mixing but minus my interface, a PreSonus FirePod, I have no obvious way to connect my monitors to the MBP.

The speakers have 1/4" TRS and RCA connections. I was using a stereo cable with 1/4" connectors to connect the monitors to the firepod (which I don't want at the new location - too much clutter) so could I just get some adaptor so that I can plug the stereo cable into the 1/8" line-out on the MBP? Would using my computers line-out be a bad idea for any reason?

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    i reckon the quality won't be as good as your firepod -- an important consideration at mixtime.
  3. cschreppel macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, it's a really noisy method of using monitors. Before I ever had an interface, that's how I had my old monitors connected - sounded awful compared to the interface (mBox and then Digi002).

The preamp is pretty bad on the MBP as well - won't give you a clear stereo image and the noise floor will be ridiculously high.

Take your Firepod.

Good luck!