Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
I've just got myself a lovely new Motorola L6. I've been able to find some iSync drivers that will allow me to sync my address book and calendar via the USB connection to my iBook but I was wondering if there was any way of using the USB connection to add/remove pictures and ringtones etc.

I don't have bluetooth in my iBook so that's out of the question.

I figure that seeing as the L6 shows that it can communicate with my Mac via USB there must be some way to take it further. The phone doesn't mount on the desktop or anything like that.

There's got to be a way I'm just not clever enough to figure it out. I got a USB data cable with it and a PC application for doing what I want but there's no Mac version on the disc.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

a1291762

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2003
Australia
moto4lin works nicely

If you want to get access to the filesystem of your Motorola phone, checkout moto4lin. It's a Qt program originally written for Linux (hence the name) but it runs fine in Mac OS X with Qt/Mac.

I recently sent a patch to allow a nice .app bundle to be created but I don't know if it's been accepted into the source tree. I started using moto4lin recently because I got a V220 and it works fine for uploading/downloading ringtones, pictures and even Java games. It's not the nicest of interfaces but it works.

If you're not into compiling stuff from source code, I can upload a binary somewhere. Let me know (ramsayl at bigfoot dot com).

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
CHAMPION!!!!

Found a great thread at howardforums.com, one of their users, CyberGreg posts a Mac compiled version of the program. It needs the Qt3 installer binary to open (download it from version tracker or something) then, following his instructions on the second page I got my L6 to work perfectly with the program. It's not the most user friendly program in the world but it does the job.

He got his working with his E1 and V3 so 2nyRiggz, you might have some luck with this.

Howardforums thread. I think this is the second page where Cyber Greg posts his instructions on how to get it working. The Mac version of the program is at the bottom of the 1st page.

Thanks to ^ that guy up there in the post above me for getting me searching for this. It works well.

iCe Cube

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2005
Near Glasgow, Scotland
finally someone else!! I got a Moto L6 at the end of December and it is great.

But I never got any USB cables from anywhere! :( Does anyone know where you get them from them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.