Connecting my G5 and G4 Powerbook to the server

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Marshpointe, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Marshpointe macrumors newbie

Jan 30, 2006
    My G5 and G4 Powerbook live in my home network which includes two Iomega Raid 5 servers. The G5 connects via a Cat 5 Ethernet and the G4 through a wireless router. The connections are peer-to-peer. Every time I reboot the systems I must manually reconnect them to the servers through Finder. Is there a way to create a script that automatically connects these drives with having to go "Network, Workgroup, Datafiles, Y Drive" in Finder? :(
  2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

Sep 19, 2005
    South of the border
    you should be able to, while connected (remember to save any login details in keychain),
    open the drive you want in a new window,
    drag the little drive icon next to the name in the window title into the dock (next to the trash)
    it will stay there as a (not sure what the mac name is for this, how embarrassing) mapped network drive.
    next time you want to connect, just click the icon.
    works for me, over my local network and vpn into the work lan, to both pc and mac volumes.
    (it was a bit wonky in the early versions of Panther but it good now in 10.3.9)
  3. Marshpointe thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 30, 2006
    Response to Frank

Thanks for the tip. You are right, this works, but I think there is a way to put this into a script for Finder's initial launch. Your tactic is perfect for my G4, especially when I am travelling (don't want to be searching for a drive that not on the web), but a script in Finder for the G5 would be better, as it is always attached. Thanks! Peter ;)