Connecting my mac to a PC

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by sambouka, Jan 6, 2003.

1. sambouka macrumors newbie

I am still a newbie on MACS. I just purchased a powerbook and have loads of mp3's and movies on my house PC. I am trying to connect to my windows pc through USB and Wireless and cant seem to figure it out. Any suggestions on how to do so?

Thanks!:)

2. TheT macrumors 6502

The easiest way would be ethernet, Mac OS X does a pretty good job in making it easy, so you should be able to access all your PC files.
    Just take a cable from your wireless setup (I believe Macs don't need special cross-over cables), that would be way easier than trying to get them to connect the wireless way.
    As far as I know, there is no USB-way... in case your PC has Firewire though, you could connect your computers with a FW cable and start up your Mac holding down the 'T' key... it will act like a FW-harddrive.
    But like I said, Ethernet will be the easiest way :) Hope this helps

3. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

and btw, it is "i am new to the mac" not "i am new to MACS"

if you are going to be grammatically incorrect at least spell the mac rights. MAC is a netowrking thing that uniquely identifies every network port ever made.

4. TheT macrumors 6502

Dude, like this matters so much. This is just a forum, and as long as we know what the person means, it's allright. It's nice that you tell him what's right so that he can learn it, but maybe he doesn't give a **** about it :rolleyes:

5. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

i just get frustrated with people doing that. i was only trying to inform him.

sambouka, if you dont care about the mac community, then keep it up. i just am informing you. thats all

6. TheT macrumors 6502

I can kinda understand your point... I mean, I don't get how some over 20-year-old US-citiziens don't know the difference between 'your' and 'you're'... but hey, that sorta stuff really doesn't matter IMO

7. Gringo macrumors newbie

8. TheT macrumors 6502

Yep, I tried that too a while ago, under 10.1, worked beautifully. But I believe with 10.2, you don't need DAVE any more, cause the OS does the same job... I could be wrong though :D

9. Gringo macrumors newbie

Yeap!!!!!

10.2 is basically the same thing.... it's just that the previous os's don't have Netbios to be able to talk to a pc. the netbios is the one thing that can help each machine talk to each other... on 10.2 it has the netbios, but not quite the same... it does do the job though.... have not used it ever so can't say for sure, but it is like the netbios.

G.-

10. j763 macrumors 6502a

talk about pedantic... this guy's asking for help and you throw incorrect definitions of MAC Addresses at him. really :rolleyes:

11. sambouka thread starter macrumors newbie

I think we are taking this a little bit too personal. There is nothing to get all 'frustrated' about. It was just a question.

For the rest of you...thanks for your help....I appreciate it!

I was wondering if its possible to access my pc using Airport?

12. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

then pm me with the correct definition or post it here (and still pm me plz).

also i use jag on a XP/2k netowrk. netbios thingy works great. it just takes a few secs longer to id a pc then a mac. no probs.

13. Gringo macrumors newbie

The Airport has to be in the Mac, but I don't belive you have airport cards for the PC... I think you could try to see a connection in which you can connect it directly through cable to the airport base and your mac wireless and see how it goes from there... With Jag your conna be able to do it ok...

G.-

14. sambouka thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a wirless network connected to my PC at home using Linksys. I am able to connect to the internet using my powerbook which has a built in Airport in it, and it works great. The only thing is, I try using the network on my powerbook to view other computers and I am not able to locate any one of them. My PC cant see my powerbook either.

Sam

15. Gringo macrumors newbie

There you go... ok so you can use it on the pc, but I belive in this case it depends on the OS your using since with Jag your supposed to be able to get in a network with a pc in seconds....

I'm not an expert in the subject anyways!

G.-

16. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

have you tried it in wireled configuration? if that workd then there may be a problem in the pcs wireless settings. or the linksys' or maybe there is a firewall blcoking NetBIOS config.

of course if it dont work in a wired configuration then i would look at jag. make sure that you have configured the network properly.

also maybe try turning on window s file sharing. i know it shouldnt have an effect but it amy.

good luck

17. sambouka thread starter macrumors newbie

I was able to see my mac once I turned on the windows filesharing in the System pref. When I try logging on from the PC to my mac in the netwrok neighborhood a promt comes out with the resource (IP No. and the drive im trying to access) and asks for a password. I tried almost every password I could think of and it didnt work! It wont allow me to access the mac for some reason. On the powerbooks side, I am not able to see the PCs for some reason. when i click on "servers" it only shows my "local"