Connecting my new Mac to a Wanadoo Livebox

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jonathan Lee, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Jonathan Lee macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2005
    It all seemed so simple with a PC! I'm trying to connnect my new PowerBook G4 to my Wanadoo livebox but it's having none of it. The help desk says I need to change a WPA to a WEP - does this make any sense to anyone?

I'm trying to access my networking settings but it keeps asking me for a system password. As I've never put one on this Mac, what the hell is this?!!

Here's hoping

2. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

Jul 13, 2005
    United Kingdom
    WPA and WEP are the router access passwords. It obviously has a password set to stop unauthorised people from accessing your network/Internet connection.

I'm having trouble accessing a network with a WEP password set on a Belkin router that my girlfriend has just bought for her house.
  3. whocares macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    I take it your connecting via Airport?

I had some problems too, but restarting the Livebox seemed to work for/help me. Also I had problems accessing the configuration with Safari, so I found using IE ( :eek: ) to be preferable.

If all else fails, try connecting with an Ethernet cable ;)

hmmm, suddenly I realise I may be talking nonsense :eek:
  4. Jonathan Lee thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2005
    #4 far

I've not yet bought an Airport thingy - would this be a good idea?
  5. whocares macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    I really don't know what I taliking about here...

... but I have a LiveBox from Wanadoo that works and an iBook, so I might qualify in helping you out.

Three questions:

1) how is your PBook connected to the LiveBox?
    No wire (wireless, aka WiFi, aka Airport) or with an Ethernet cable?

2) how are you trying to get at your "network settings"?
    To access your "network settings" (ie LiveBox configuration panel I guess), open Safari and go to This will prompt you for a user name and password (they will both be admin if you haven't changed them). Note that this password is prompted by Safari and means that your PBook is connected to the LiveBox.

3) Can you describe (if any) how you are being prompted for a password and what you do before you are prompted for it.

Sorry for all these questions, but I'm not quite sure I understand your problem :eek: :)
  6. jimpoll18 macrumors newbie

Aug 24, 2006
    LiveBox and Airport Problems

I am also having problems when trying to connect to my livebox via apple airport. When I try to connect to the Livebox it prompts me for a wpa key. The Livebox uses a wep key so i don't know why airport asks for a wpa key. I then type in the wep key for the network and i get an error message saying that the network his protected by an access control list and that this computer is not on the list. Is there anything that I can do about this?

7. riko macrumors regular

Feb 25, 2006
    Glasgow area, Scotland
    Hi jim,

did you put the live box into "pairing mode" before you attempted to connect? According to this page you need to press button 1 then try to connect

8. davescfc macrumors newbie

Nov 30, 2006
    Have you tried username 'admin' and password 'admin'?