Connecting/networking Via internet into Airport

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by birdking, Sep 4, 2002.

1. birdking macrumors newbie

I am using an airport at home, and trying to connect to that computer from work. It was not an issue when I was directly connected to the internet, but now I am getting and error -36. I am running OS X 2.0 on both computers. Is it a firewall issue?

2. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Re: Connecting/networking Via internet into Airport

How do you have the airport set up? What application are you using to get to the computer at home (ie. what are you trying to do?)

If you have set up the airport to use nat on the inside of your home network, then you will need to use the port mapping feature of the airport to connect to your home computer. OTOH, if you are just bridging your wired network to your wireless network, then you will not have to worry about anything like that.

Post some more details, and then we can help you...

3. birdking thread starter macrumors newbie

The airport at home is just for Internet use and sometimes to transfer file from a iBook to iMac. While I am at work....I like to access the hard drive of the imac, to transfer files ect..The iMac is always on and connected . I am using OS X 2.0 "connect to server" feature and typing the IP address. Im not sure how to use the port mapping feature.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The only IP address the rest of the world can see is the Base Station's Public IP address.

There are two zones - public and private. The private stuff, your home network can use any IP address you want because nobody else will see them or get confused.

Works great for the computers making request on the private network. But it's a LOT confusing for a computer initiating requests on the public side, all they see is the base stations IP address - not your home network.

Unless ...

5. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

From apple's support site:
    Go to:
    Applications -> Utilities -> Airport Admin Utility
    Port Mapping tab
    Add button
    Public port = 548
    Private Address = the ip address of your home computer
    Private Port = 548