Connecting Old PPC 6500 to Airport Network?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Error Type -43, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Error Type -43 macrumors member

I have an old PPC 6500/275 running OS 8.6 with an ethernet card in one of the PCI slots. I want to connect it to my network which consists of a PB G4 1.25 and an older Dell desktop, and share the DSL connection (both are wireless). It's not a big deal as the 6500 is old (but runs surprisingly well). I just want to do it for the hell of it. I assume I would connect it to the LAN port on the base station but how would I go about changing and configuring network settings on the 6500 as 8.6 does not have any network software that I know of?

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Go to Control Panels, then to TCP/IP. Chose Built-In Ethernet, and from the drop down menu, chose DHCP. Your AirPort Base Station will automatically provide your Power Mac with an IP address then.

To actually browse other computers, go to the Apple menu, and go to Chooser. Then select AppleShare, and hopefully the other computers will show up on the right.

3. Error Type -43 thread starter macrumors member

Sweet! I'll try that tonight. Thanks for the help.

4. Error Type -43 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I tried it last night and it worked like a charm. I now have all three computers hooked up to my network (which I thought would be complicated), up and running sharing the same internet connection.

On a side note, the 6500 runs real smooth with broadband. I thought it would be too old to handle the constant data transfer.

5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Cool! I'm glad it worked out.

That's the cool thing with Macs, they just don't get old. Try saying that with a 10 year old Wintel box.