Connecting Palm IIIc to eMac?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Hoven, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Hoven macrumors regular

Hi all,
    I have an older Palm IIIc (serial connection) that I'd like to give to my daughter. We have an eMac (OS X v10.2), as well as an older PowerMac G3 desktop with OS9.

So, I bought a serial-to-USB converter cable from CompUSA for $30, loaded the driver, pluged it in, hit the HotSync button aaaand....
    Nothin'! :confused:

I can't for the life of me figure out why the Mac isn't paying attention to the port. Any ideas?

Many Thanks!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It may not be initialized properly. Try restarting the Mac and see if it works.

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Launch Palm Desktop, go to menu for HotSync, choose Settings, and make sure you have them configured to sync via USB AND PalmConnect. It's quite likely that the settings did not automatically change to USB just because you loaded the right driver.

Good luck.

4. Hoven thread starter macrumors regular

I had to restart after loading the driver, but that didn't seem to work. I'll certainly try again just to be sure (although I have no idea how to tell if the driver is loading or loading correctly). Thanks!

I'll check, but I think I did that... I can't recall. I do know that it was odd that I couldn't find the 'custom' controls for hotsync that exists on Windoze (such as Desktop Overwrites Handheld). Hmmm. Well, I'll check the setting and see. Thanks!

5. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I'll check, but I think I did that... I can't recall. I do know that it was odd that I couldn't find the 'custom' controls for hotsync that exists on Windoze (such as Desktop Overwrites Handheld). Hmmm. Well, I'll check the setting and see. Thanks![/QUOTE]

These settings are under the HotSync menu, but you have to highlight Conduit Settings to get to them.
    Hope it all works out for you.

6. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I'll check, but I think I did that... I can't recall. I do know that it was odd that I couldn't find the 'custom' controls for hotsync that exists on Windoze (such as Desktop Overwrites Handheld). Hmmm. Well, I'll check the setting and see. Thanks![/QUOTE]

custom controls, like the previous poster said, are located under "hotsync" not palm desktop on mac os. keeps the file systems from getting crossed i think...which is good, because it keeps you from doing bad bad things to your custom settings on hotsync when you thought you were fixing your palm desktop....anyhow, i digress. bad win98 flashback.