Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davo6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
Hey all,

I run Ableton on both my Macbook and my studio PC (quad core).

Is there anyway that I could link both computers so that I can run VSTS on my PC and do all of my production in Ableton on my Macbook?? This would be awesome because I would have the power of my fast PC and the stability of my Mac OS.

Both computers have nice audio interface as well (EMU 1820, and M-Audio fast track pro)

Any help is much appreciated!

pkoch1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Boston
Hey all,

I run Ableton on both my Macbook and my studio PC (quad core).

Is there anyway that I could link both computers so that I can run VSTS on my PC and do all of my production in Ableton on my Macbook?? This would be awesome because I would have the power of my fast PC and the stability of my Mac OS.

Both computers have nice audio interface as well (EMU 1820, and M-Audio fast track pro)

Any help is much appreciated!

You will need to buy MIDI over LAN (MoL) and have an ADAT or S/PDIF digital connection between each computer through an interface of some sort. I'm not familiar with what you have, but I'm pretty sure the FastTrack Pro does not have S/PDIF or ADAT on it.

It is possible, and is done very often in the professional audio field, especially among composers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.