Connecting PC and Mac via Ethernet Cable

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Benjer, Dec 4, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Jun 30, 2006
    I have a question about how to connect an intel Mac (OS 10.5 Leopard) to a PC (XP) via an ethernet cable to move files from the PC to the Mac. Apple's page on the subject is as follows (
    However, I am very illiterate when it comes to Windows and have the following questions:

How do I find the computer's IP address (I believe it is behind a router, which means I cannot use a website such as

If this isn't possible with the router, how do I assign an IP address to the PC and the Mac (this is a solution I've read elsewhere)?

What is the "DNSname"?

I will be moving files for a friend tomorrow and do have my trusty hard drive ready (which is how I usually do it), but I would prefer the more elegant method of connecting via an ethernet cable. Please do not fear condescending me, the more information and detail the better. Thanks in advance for your help!
  2. macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    Since you'll be connecting directly, the IP address won't be assigned by a router. "DNSName" is likely the computer name - e.g. your Mac's name may be "benjers-computer.local" - something like that.

I have never actually connected a PC and Mac like this, but generally you can see the IP address by opening a DOS window (Start -> Run -> type "cmd"). In the window, type "ipconfig".

You'll also need to enable file sharing on the PC before you can use samba (via smb://...)
  3. macrumors member

Jul 9, 2008
    Moz Angeles
    #3 only works for boxes that are on the net. correct me if i'm wrong but it susses out what the IP address of your router box on the net is.

if you want your individual computer IP, you really do need to pull up IPCONFIG in terminal mode.