connecting sony dcr-trv33 to macbook...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bigben334, Aug 12, 2006.

1. bigben334 macrumors regular

my macbook doesn't recognize my sony dcr-trv33....or something like that....it just doesn't do anything when i connect it via usb...my uncle gave me this camcorder to input all of his videos and edit them....and i would be really embarrassed to call him and tell him that i cant do it now that i already got him excited....so PLEASE somebody help me with this...thanks

2. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

I don't think you can transfer video over USB, I think you have to use Firewire. I think the USB on the camera is for photos you take with it. At least that's the way a lot of camcorders are - not sure if it's the case with yours specifically.

3. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

I also have a Sony, and it can export streaming video over USB, (I used Windows Movie Maker at the time, that was before I switched) but the quality is lower than the original and not digital. It depends of course on the model, but you should check for the term USB Streaming on your camera or manual.

The best way to get the images from your digital camera is with a FireWire cable. I advise you to buy one if you are planning to edit movies from your camera on your computer

4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Yes, you will need a 6-pin to 4-pin firewire cable.

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

I believe the USB streaming only works on windows. You will need a 4pin to 6pin FW cable to connect the camera to the computer and import the DV through iMovie/FCE/FCP.

6. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

Use a firewire cable and all your problems will be solved!:D

7. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

I checked with a DCR-TRV33E, and indeed, the USB streaming is a feature, but not available in OS X. You will need a Firewire cable