Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sagat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
Hey guys I'm playing around with a test fileserver, no problems connecting macs to it while on the same local network but I've now moved it off the network and the server is now sitting on a seperate external ip address. How do I go about mapping the shared drive to my macs now? I tried clicking: >GO>Connect to server... and entering the ip address, without any luck. Is there somewhere else I shold be looking?

Cheers.

oh btw the file server is windows2003 and I'm using OSX 10.4.4.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
sagat said:
Hey guys I'm playing around with a test fileserver, no problems connecting macs to it while on the same local network but I've now moved it off the network and the server is now sitting on a seperate external ip address. How do I go about mapping the shared drive to my macs now? I tried clicking: >GO>Connect to server... and entering the ip address, without any luck. Is there somewhere else I shold be looking?

Cheers.

oh btw the file server is windows2003 and I'm using OSX 10.4.4.
Mapping a network drive over the Internet like this is not a good idea, and not very practical. If you were VPNing into the network then it might make sense, but you don't have a direct connection to the server. I would suggest doing a FTP server on the Windows 2003 server, because just regular file sharing wasn't ment for going across the Internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.