Connecting to a Windows Print Server

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rtharper, Nov 20, 2006.

1. rtharper macrumors regular

rtharper

So, I'm about ready to pull my hair out with this, which is what happens when something is so blindingly obvious that I don't see it in Mac OS X because it's different than in Windows or other Unices.

On my university network there are all sorts of printers. If your computer is connected on campus you can connect to those print shares and print (it's nicer than a lot of sftp/scp sessions).

Anyway, on my old windows laptop, all I did was connect to the print server by navigating to \\<server ip>\ and picking the name of the printer and right-clicking and selecting "add printer...". Now, using the Printer Setup utility, it gives me the option of browsing for entering direct IP's. These printers don't have direct IP's because their queues are managed by a server. HOW do I connect to the print server, select the printer, and add it? It's not on my local subnet so it doesn't show up automatically, and it doesn't show up in more printers anywhere either, but I know the ip address of the server!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What kind of printer(s) are you trying to use? If it(they) is(are) not PostScript printer(s), then you will have to use CUPS driver(s) for the printer(s). A search of this forum will yield more information about CUPS.