connecting to airport troubles

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by askthedust, Jan 16, 2006.

1. askthedust macrumors regular

askthedust

We have two laptops in our place and the ibook has no trouble connecting to the airport express but the powerbook just recently started having trouble after the ibook was brought into the picture. And now the powerbook is starting to have trouble connecting at work too. Is this just a bad Airport card and if so has anyone replaced theirs themselves with any success? My apple care has run out already so I am trying to solve this as inexpensively as possible. Thanks for any helpful comments and tips.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Look for a file called com.apple.airport.preferences.plist and delete it, restart and try to connect again. Also, maybe open the machine up and make sure the card is connected properly. The iBook should be getting better reception than the PowerBook FWIW. :)

3. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Sometimes I wonder how you can give such sound advice, but have the most randomly weird comments in other post.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

wasn't there a post one time the said a "friend" made up your name and you got stuck with it?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, it was my brother. He knows me far too well. Although he got the second bit wrong. One out of two isn't that bad...

7. askthedust thread starter macrumors regular

askthedust

better but...

It is defintely better now but still seems to drop the connection every so often. Does that mean it's the card? or is there something else I can do? Thanks for the help!

8. big macrumors 65816

big

The card may have gotten shifted, take it out, and put it back in. Sometimes cards go bad. We use one iBook, and the airport is great when it decides to work, though very flaky, so we have ethernet to the workstation. It's this iBooks 2nd card (on second thought, perhaps it is the antenna connection, isn't that in the hinge, and becoming loose over time?)