Connecting to apache running on mac over airport?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by DanTekGeek, Feb 22, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2004
    Denver, CO
    My friend is trying to get his apache to work, but hes not a memeber, so I posted for him:

I have a TiBook, i run apache on it. i am connected to my cable modem via airport extreme. when i directly connect the computer to the cable modem, people can visit my IP and see my apache site. then when i am on airport it doesn't work... how can i fix it so people can see the site runnning on my TiBooks apache server when i am connected through airport.
  2. macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    You firstly need to set your network up so you're using a static IP, and not DHCP for the connection router > powerbook. and 2 respectively should do fine....

Then, enable port forwarding in your router/access point - ports 80 and 8080 should ideally be pointed to [powerbook ip] port 80. Think that's about it, actually.

edit: actually, sounds like you've got a modem/router combo. Same principle, though, you'll need to edit it through the modem combo's web configuration screens.
  3. Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Make sure the Airport is set to Bridge mode, so that's not handing out new IP adresses, effectivly making your wireless network a closed LAN within your LAN... ;)