Connecting to my g5 that is behind a router

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by w00tmaster, Aug 17, 2004.

1. w00tmaster macrumors regular

I am going to have to go home for a week or so(I currently live in an apartment near my university) so I would like to be able to connnect to my g5 from my iBook at home(with remote debugging in Xcode if at all possible). My g5 is on a router connected to a cable modem. What is the best way to connect to it from home?

2. jane doe macrumors 6502

if you simply want to share files, assign a static IP address to the G5. On the router open port 548 and forward it to that ip address.

I'm not sure what port Xcode runs off of for the sharing but it would not be hard to find out.

3. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

another thing you could do, go into your routers settings, and set the g5 up as the DNZ host. to do that just insert the x.x.x.100, or what ever the last three numbers of your g5's current router ip address is. that way when you have incomming things like you logging into your g5, the router will automatically rout it to that machine, instead of blocking it.

aethier

4. jane doe macrumors 6502

Thats also a good idea, if you do that make sure you turn on the G5s firewall in the sharing system prefernece and only open the service that you want.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Get a free account from DynDNS.

Use that and the scripts at the site to ensure that your G5 is visible from the outside world. Set up the Mac's firewall to block stuff you're worried about - which should be almost anything - but be sure remote SSH and HTTPS are enabled. Assuming you have access to the router, forward SSH and other ports to the G5's IP (and, yes, make sure the G5's IP is static from the router so a power outage-induced reboot won't affect things).

Test from a different network.

You should be golden!

6. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Ok, I am thinking about doing this same thing on campus...so I could use some advice as well.

Computers:
    1 iBook w/ OS X (what else right?)
    1 PC with Windows XP
    1 router

Network:
    Campus network - Has a firewall that prevents outside connections. But I do not want to connect from the internet...keep reading :)

Task: Enable safe file sharing between my Windows machine and my iBook when I am on campus. Thus making my Windows machine a seperate storage area for my files.

Ok here is the deal with the Network. Connections from the internet are refused. That includes trying to run things like web servers. The campus just does not allow it. That is ok though. What I want to do is access files that are on my Windows machine from my Mac ON campus. In effect creating a personal network drive that only I can access (obviously I will need to enable a password on my account). I do not want those who are unathorized to be able to...well to as much extent as possible.

Ok, so here is how I was going to set this up. Router (with a cloned MAC address from my PC) will be connected to my University LAN. From there my Windows machine will be there. Firewall settings on the Router, Windows and Zonealarm Pro will be set to high (I do not trust my campus network after last years virus problems).

Ok so I will then assign a Static IP to my Windows machine in fact since there are two machines (the PC and the Mac) I probably wont use the routers DHCP Server.

From what I gather I am supposed to enable sharing on my Windows PC, and set port forwarding on the Router to the PC's IP and then open up those Ports on my Router and both Firewalls.

Ok now how do I connect to said machine? In other words how do I access it on the Network? Search for the IP address? If so where do I do that?

Mike