Connecting to my Mac from a Windows PC over the net. (Port forwarding, etc.)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Pierre Films, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Pierre Films macrumors member

Pierre Films

[​IMG]

I am completely frustrated! I have been looking everywhere for a simple step by step way to be able to connect to my Powermac G4 running OS X 10.4 Tiger and control it from a friend's Windows Box. I've been able to do it from home on my own network but not remotely from someone else's home. I have been frantically searching Google and the MacRumors forums but cannnot find a good solution. I go from one problem to finding I need to setup 2 more things before I can get anywhere. Ahhhh!.

As a Mac user I'm so used to Open -> Click -> "Boom." Done. Does anyone know of a site or guide that shows a start to finish solution that I've missed during my searches? :confused:

I'm sure I'm not the only one that wishes to do this. Thanks.

Pierre Films [​IMG]

2. Pierre Films thread starter macrumors member

Pierre Films

No, what I mean is a solution like Apple Remote Desktop. I guess I should have explained better. I wish to see my desktop as I would on my G4 on a Windows PC.

Pierre Films [​IMG]

3. Queso macrumors G4

OK, I get you. You use the Sharing panel in System Preferences and activate "Apple Remote Desktop". Click on the Access Privileges button and set up the VNC password.

Then you need to install a VNC client on the Windows computer. I'll warn you. It's nowhere near as quick as Windows RDP, but it does work.

From a remote network, remember that the Mac's computer name won't be accessible to the Windows machine, so you'll have to connect using the IP address. Using your router as a VPN server and getting the Windows computer to tunnel to that first is the easiest and most secure way of transmitting the password rather than port forwarding.

4. Pierre Films thread starter macrumors member

Pierre Films