Connecting to network server - Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ortuno2k, Dec 27, 2005.

1. ortuno2k macrumors 6502a

At home I have all my music on a network server (Windows Server), and must connect to it every time I restart or awake my computer to listen to music.
    By just opening iTunes and playing anything, the system automatically connects to the network drive, but I'd like a way to automatically do this regardless of whether I have iTunes open or not, as soon as the computer boots or awakes.
    I also do Option-K and this works as well.
    Is there a script or automator action to do this?
    I'm running on a PB with 10.4.3.
    Thanks.

2. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Seem to remember a similar thread some time ago. Not sure if you can do exactly what you want, but you can try this:
    Connect to the volume as normal, but remember to save your username and password in your keychain.
    Create an alias of your connected volume which you then leave on your desktop.
    You could try dragging the alias into the 'login items' in your account preferences - it drags in ok but I haven't checked to see if it works on rebooting.

Edit: Just tried logging out and in again and it didn't work! But the first two steps were ok, ie the alias. I have never bothered with automator or Applescript, but think that would be the way to go. Time for someone else to step in here....

3. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Second attempt at getting it right:

1. Connect to the volume as normal, but remember to save your username and password in your keychain.
    2. Drag the alias into the 'login items' in your account preferences.

I've just tried it with a winXP machine on my network and it now works.

4. strydr macrumors 6502

strydr

Alt. way to step 2, Make sure your Share is mounted, open Login Items, add a new item(+), (being the mapped network drive).
    This will connect whenever you login.

5. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Oh dear, the dangers of copy and paste - you're right Strydr,. I MEANT to say in my second attempt that I didn't use the alias, I actually used the mounted network volume itself (as I found it didn't work with the alias). Sorry for the confusion (blame it on too much Christmas spirit) :)

6. ortuno2k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey, that did it!!!
    I wonder how I didn't think of that before...
    Dragging the mounted drive to the startup items worked. Now it mounts upon booting but still doesn't mount when coming off sleep.
    Thanks for the help :D

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king