connecting to pc laptop

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Route9987, May 10, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

can anyone tell me the simplest and quickest way to connect a powerbook to a pc laptop, detailed instructions required, any way possible ! (wireless, ethernet, etc)

thanks a lot

marc

2. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

The easiest way to network a Mac and a PC laptop, if no other devices are needed (such as an internet connection), is to connect them with an Ethernet crossover cable (these aren't the normal Ethernet cables used to form Ethernet networks with hubs/switches/routers/etc.; these are meant for direct connections between two computers). Plug one end of the crossover cable to the Mac's Ethernet port, and the other end into the PC's Ethernet port. After that, you have two choices: you can either set up file sharing on the PC and have the Mac connect to it, or set up Windows file sharing on the Mac and have the PC connect to the Mac. Both choices work - I'd use whichever interface you are more familiar with. Once file sharing is set up, you can transfer files between the two machines.

3. Moderator emeritus

grapes911

as long as it is a pb from the last few years, a regular ethernet cable will work. The newer apple products have a auto-detecting ethernet adapter in them.

4. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

Yes, it may work for the Mac, but you can't count on it working for the PC's network card. That's why I suggested using a crossover cable.

5. Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The pc won't auto-detect. But, the pc will use its standard connection and the apple will automatically set it self up and adapt to the pc.

6. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

I haven't tested it, but if your theory works, you just made the original poster's job MUCH easier! No more hunting for a crossover cable if a regular one will work.

7. Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Its not my theory, i got it from here:
    link edited: wrong one. I'll have to find it again

edited: Here is the link:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42717
    The important line is "MDI devices connected to Auto-MDIX devices do not require a crossover Ethernet cable." The other important part is that it has to be a g4 pb.