Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfan92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2006
I'm trying to copy my iTunes library from my PC to my Mac. I was told I need to get a crossover cable to do the job. I tryed connecting them together but....I don't think I'm doing this right. Can somebody please help me.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
This is how I would do it:

Go onto your Mac and go to Sys Prefs -> Sharing -> Windows Sharing -> enable it, and your account.

then, on the PC, go to run: and your.macs.ip.address (123.123.1.123)/yourusername

i think that's what you'd do.

not sure if that's the right way for the run part, but maybe *goes and checks*

EDIT:

i just tried to do it on my pc, and it's just... sorta difficult, almost, well, not nearly as easy as on OS X. what you probably need to do is just connect to it through Finder -> Go -> connect to server -> Pc's IP.

then put your iTunes library in your shared folder or whatever. :)

macfan92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2006
Well, for the crossover cable, do i connect it directly PC to Mac? Or do i need to plug it in with the router or modem or something?

andcraig

macrumors regular
May 28, 2005
Yep. one ethernet port to the other, just hook em up.
In fact, depending on the Mac and PC NIC cards, you don't even need a crossover cable.
I know at least the recent powerbooks automatically compensate for whatever cable you're using. So if you need crossover, a straight through will act like one.
Which is cool.
And i wish my PC did.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Macs - Network Utility, spotlight it.

PC - go to run and type in CMD and then in the command prompt ipconfig, that will give you your IP address.

you have an AIM screenname, I could help you a lot easier that way. :)

blackscooby

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2005
Cheshire, UK
The way I transfer files is to use a cross over cable between my Macbook and my AMD server.

I enabled FTP access on my Macbook, and used a program called Filezilla (GUI FTP that's free) on my AMD to connect to my MAC and transfer the files from PC to MAC.

Works a treat for me and is REALLY REALLY quick via cross over cable, both are using Gigabit transfer so all transfers are very quick.

Cheers

Mark

d wade

macrumors 65816
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
you dont need any wires.

i'm tell you man the search function on this website is the most underrated thiing ive ever seen. give it a try, you'll be amazed.

follow this guide EXACTLY and you will be golden. no wires or nothing.

blackscooby

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2005
Cheshire, UK
d wade said:
you dont need any wires.

i'm tell you man the search function on this website is the most underrated thiing ive ever seen. give it a try, you'll be amazed.

My Wifi ain't that fast so compter to computer transfer isn't that quick, hence the use of wired transfer. Wired is possible at a theoretical 1000Mbps where as wifi transfer is more like 54Mbps on my set up at home.

macfan92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2006
d wade said:
you dont need any wires.

I did all that and it worked great. The only problem is, how do I get my iTunes library into the share folder that I created?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.